Idea to get us even more Dreamcast online users :)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Re: Idea to get us even more Dreamcast online users :)

Post#11 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:05 pm

DR TEAMCAST wrote:
mazonemayu wrote:
DR TEAMCAST wrote:
There's not many people on because not many people know about this. It's a matter of getting a clan of people together to campaign around other corners of the internet

you make a very good point, maybe we should try advertising the DC to the younger generation :lol:

The reason i'm on here is because I was really bored one day and googled "dreamcast servers". Got my DC off a shelf in my garage and began setting up a PC-DC. I had an account when this was still call dctalk.com, but that was before PC-DC was documented and at 14 I couldn't afford a BBA

Another idea that doesn't involve posting on other boards is setting up servers for Counter-Strike 1.6 & Source, Team Fortress 2, DayZ ETC with the servername something like
*SEGA DREAMCAST SERVERS* 24/7 de_dust2 No AWP/Auto

The MOTD menu in Source games is a mini web browser too, so an HTML page can be made linking here, a list of current operational games and a link to DreamPi setup tutorial. If the server title sparks their interest enough to connect, it's more likely than not they'll become interested enough to at least register here

There's probably many more people with a Dreamcast sitting on a shelf in their garage

Before I even knew of Dreamcast-talk existence I visited online consoles for my information (mostly cause I thought that was the only DC online community). I believe there are other DC sites like The Dreamcast Junkyard, Dreamcast Scene, and some others we could spread the word. I'm also contribute to Sega Retro, wonder if maybe I should make a wiki entry there.

We probably should consider including http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/index.php and maybe even saturnleague.com - (Bet there are Dreamcast owners there too) in our Game Nights :D I could start a thread in Online Consoles about game nights and see if we can get more people from there.

Also A BIG Problem I've noticed is people are afraid that DreamPI is too hard to setup. I'd love to start "Manufacturing Kits" and sale them on Ebay, or whatever other sources we have to encourage more people to get on. I'd even consider giving them away lol. Unfortunately I can't begin creating a stock of DreamPi kits until around March.

Xiden
Developer

Post#12 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:06 pm

Oh and Retro collect did a Dreampi Article awhile back :D http://www.retrocollect.com/News/get-yo ... ry-pi.html

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#13 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:11 pm

Xiden wrote:Also A BIG Problem I've noticed is people are afraid that DreamPI is too hard to setup. I'd love to start "Manufacturing Kits" and sale them on Ebay

I just started selling them on Dreamcast Live recently. They don't stay in stock for very long as I have people lined up to buy them. :lol:
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Xiden
Developer

Post#14 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:15 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
Xiden wrote:Also A BIG Problem I've noticed is people are afraid that DreamPI is too hard to setup. I'd love to start "Manufacturing Kits" and sale them on Ebay

I just started selling them on Dreamcast Live recently. They don't stay in stock for very long as I have people lined up to buy them. :lol:

Thats great news though :)

Maybe you should do a kickstarter for funding more of them ;) The Dreampi with usb powered LVI is by far the most elegant solution :)

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#15 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:20 pm

Xiden wrote:Maybe you should do a kickstarter for funding more of them ;) The Dreampi with usb powered LVI is by far the most elegant solution :)

lol Funding really isn't much of an issue. It's just finding the Raspberry Pi's for cheap enough that I can sell the kits at the $69.99 price point. I'm always keeping an eye out on eBay. I was selling them for $59.99 but the extra $10 gives me more wiggle room on the parts.
PSO Characters:

Xiden
Developer

Post#16 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Another idea, though it might be frowned upon is maybe doing a PC vs DC type situation. We know Quake 3 and I believe PSO, Max Pool and Evo 4x4 all have PC versions that can play with DC right?

Just another way we could at least play with more people, although i'd rather add more Dreamcast people though

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#17 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:52 pm

I think mark would review it as he has mentioned in the past like in the starlancer review about the online and would like to do it plus its mark so anything dreamcast related he would most likely do do

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#18 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:17 pm

From the moment there is a plug-and-play solution with minimum configurations needed, we'll see an surge in online players for sure. The kits pcwzrd13 is selling is definitely a step into the right direction, now we only need such a kit compatible with PAL modems.

And as a cherry on top, preferably a 3D printed case for the Pi and the USB modem + line inducer, making it truly look like one machine to get the Dreamcast online is what we need.

Xiden
Developer

Post#19 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:33 pm

Wombat wrote:And as a cherry on top, preferably a 3D printed case for the Pi and the USB modem + line inducer, making it truly look like one machine to get the Dreamcast online is what we need.

Thats exactly what I am looking into now to do :)

Now that we have usb powered LVIs its now a strong possibility. Unfortunately I dont have a 3d printer. But there is a shop in town im going to talk to and see can be done.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#20 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Wombat wrote:now we only need such a kit compatible with PAL modems.

I include a US modem in the kit for free to alleviate that issue. It's a better solution than making a special LVI.
PSO Characters: