Dreamcast Was Never That Good

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Dreamcast Was Never That Good

Post#1 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:52 am

besides being a rather exotic and revolutionary console it had hardly any games worth making sequels to. the few sequels that did make it to other consoles and pc become much better than the original dreamcast ones. to be honest most dreamcast games didnt age well. they have this almost mediocre college level design about them. basic models and textures. no advanced rendering tech involved. bad animation. overall a very lack luster subpar and never AAA vibe about them besides maybe one or two games. the rest are dead arcade ports. im self aware enough to know i only like the dreamcast because of its exotic look, when it played a role in my life, and one or two games that kept me playing it. besides that it was nothing more than a demo disc player.

Cornerb0y
stalker

Re: Dreamcast Was Never That Good

Post#2 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:30 am

vQU8DdJxeTZOE.gif
vQU8DdJxeTZOE.gif (915.24 KiB) Viewed 6384 times

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#3 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:14 am

Yeah what is the point of this thread? This is clearly your opinion and everything you claim could be said about any console. I do not think that the PS2 has anything worth owning on it over the xbox. Every thing on PS2 that I play had a better version on xbox. the only one making first party titles that I play on consoles is NIntendo at this point. Back when Halo came out I played it on pc so even xbox didnt have shit for AAA titles exclusive to it. The Dreamcast had some good games that would have only been made for it if it had not been for Sega canceling it. imagine 2k sports not being on anything other that sega. NBA 2k is by far the best sports basketball franchise out and the NFL version was passing madden before EA paid out teh ass to buy the NFL license. as far as the games that were released on more that one console I think that the DC looked better. Look at side by side views. in my opinion the Dreamcast looks better that playstation 2 today. It makes me wonder if this thread was just troll bait lmmfao. :ugeek:

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:29 am

It all comes down to preferences. If you don't like SEGA's wacky 1st party games or the arcade ports, then there is not much point in you owning a Dreamcast in the first place. Because those were the strong points of the DC. If you were looking for good 3rd party games that weren't arcade or arcade like games then unfortunately the DC is not really the system for you since 3rd party support was just lacking on it.

And I will always pity people who still can't get past graphics in video games. Do you buy books, movies or music records based solely on their cover art? Sure, that might be the first thing that you see and the thing that grabs your attention, but they will never be the thing that makes you keep coming back to them (at least for me anyway).

Sure, some DC games really do have awful graphics, but then there are games that are still very good looking (Soul Calibur, RECV, Le mans 24, Dead or Alive 2, Shenmue, F355 Challenge, Headhunter). But even the more mediocre looking games can be fun and enjoyable if you can get past the graphics.

Graphics for me mean absolutely nothing. A developer can spend their entire budget on a game to make it look the best it can, but half a year later there will come a better looking game, simply because hardware and software becomes more powerful and efficient as time goes on. But if it's the most fun game in the world, it'll become timeless.

Farmhouse
lithium

Post#5 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:29 am

Hey OP, you got a SHIFT key on that keyboard?

Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Post#6 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:36 am

i have to say its kinda funny seeing where they got the controller design from a old sega saturn controller + copying the nintendo 64 controller analog and memory card slot on the controller. although the vmu display made the controller memorable it was almost entirely useless and a joke really if you take more than 5 seconds to look past your nostalgia goggles. the modem was sad i know cable modems werent big then yet but the struggle people now have to get that broadband is funny. the broadband worked great. i had one. the console could barely handle most online games. stuttery jerky. a lot of quake 3 levels had framerate problems. and in usual sega fashion they had weaker hardware than sony. i remember comparing unreal tournament between the ps2 and dc and dc had downgraded graphics. im just being honest. the dreamcast looks exactly like the white sega saturn that was a gimped playstation 1. just really stop and htink about how awful the dreamcast really was. inferior gd rom drive compared to dvd. a joke of a memory card. underpowered. subpar low budget games. an awful modem that couldnt play most online games without enormous amounts of lag, etc. like i said i was a pretty big dreamcast fan. in fact i was thinking about buying a dreamcast this past week to play PSO and since i can play PSOBB locally or on a big server on pc with more content better graphics etc. i though about the other games i could play on dreamcast. i realized sonic adventure is on other consoles. all the classics are on other consoles and better. the dreamcast is a joke. looks cool tho lol. im not trying to troll just be honest about it.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#7 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:44 am

If you are all about specs and whatnot, why don't you just get a PC and be done with consoles alltogether? Because in case you never heard, every Sony (and every other) concole is also just a gimped PC when you compare specs.

Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Post#8 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:50 am

Tarnish wrote:If you are all about specs and whatnot, why don't you just get a PC and be done with consoles alltogether? Because in case you never heard, every Sony (and every other) concole is also just a gimped PC when you compare specs.

well i do play mainly on pc. i use a ps4 controller on pc to play phantasy star online blue burst currently. i considered getting a dreamcast controller and adapter but it would cost more and it would be an overall useless controller besides playing pso and n64 games. i actually still like killzone 3 for ps3. ps3 has a good modem, free online. better controls, bigger budget games, a lot more sophisticated gameplay, etc. im mainly saying that playing on dreamcast is a hassle, costs tons of money, to get all the accessories to modernize it, and in the end is inferior to rereleases and sequels.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#9 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:06 am

Dreamcaseal wrote:well i do play mainly on pc. i use a ps4 controller on pc to play phantasy star online blue burst currently. i considered getting a dreamcast controller and adapter but it would cost more and it would be an overall useless controller besides playing pso and n64 games. i actually still like killzone 3 for ps3. ps3 has a good modem, free online. better controls, bigger budget games, a lot more sophisticated gameplay, etc. im mainly saying that playing on dreamcast is a hassle, costs tons of money, to get all the accessories to modernize it, and in the end is inferior to rereleases and sequels.

Cool, then you found what entertains you. And for some people the Dreamcast is still entertaining, you're just not one of them. End of topic.

And btw, the title of the thread is just simply false if you ask me. When the DC was released, it was the most powerful console on the market. Offered online capabilities out of the box. Had the biggest storage media (1 GB GD-rom) at the time. It was the first to have a digital camera for a console. It was one of the first (if not the first) to have a microphone and offer online chat in some games.

Was it later outperformed by other consoles in every aspect? Sure. But for a short period of time, it wasn't just "that good", it was "the best".

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#10 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:11 am

There are plenty of side by side videos of PS2 and Dreamcast and in almost every case if you put the best cable version on both consoles the games look better on Dreamcast. I own both consoles and I can clearly see that PS2 over component cable is washed out and blurry and the Dreamcast is crisp using VGA. As far as Unreal Tournament being better looking, if I had to guess this was due to the extra time spent on the PS2 version. It came out for the Dreamcast first. You mentioned the modem that was packed in as though there was something wrong with that back in 1999. You do realize that Sony did not pack in any modem at all. Hell only the Dreamcast and Xbox did this at launch. In 1999, 2000 56k was the standard and it was damn good for the time. You saying it was bad is like saying windows 95/98 sucked because it used dial up. That is just stupid. Yes I used AOL on a windows computer back then and I loved that shit before I had dsl. Saying none of, or very few of the Dreamcast games would get sequels just is not true either. Many games got sequels in the short DC life span. Games like Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, Sonic Adventure. Hydro Thunder had 4x4 Thunder, Power Stone, Marvel vs capcom, PSO and the list goes on. They are making sequels to some of these games still today, such as Soul Calibur and Marvel vs Capcom, Shenmue, PSO and Sonic. There are tons of games that were on DC still being made and that is why I think that you sir are ignorant. You seem to just want to bash and troll. Why else make this thread?