streaming help

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
djexotic
dark night

streaming help

Post#1 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:57 pm

hey guys, i wanna start streaming with my dreamcast but i kinda got a problem. couple of weeks ago i build this cheap pc to capture my gaming footage from ps4,retron 5,wii(with a convertor), and my 360. the capture device i got is the avermedia hd live gamer card that you can put in your pci express slot on your pc then a box that you have to connect with a usb that cause lag. this capture card is great but it got one problem. it only connect to hdmi only.

i do have a vga box for my dreamcast but i need to know if i can find or get a another convertor box that output hdmi that is a good brand. also won't cause lag. and this capture card can capture in 720 and 1080 even 4k but is that any convertor box that just output 720 so i can capture while streaming.

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Re: streaming help

Post#2 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:17 pm

That's going to be tricky since every converter that I have ran across introduces some kind of input delay. Even one of the most sought after items in any gaming room, XRGB-3 Mini Framemeister introduces 2ms of lag to everything. I have yet to do the same thing too since I may do something similar to what you have. I would have keep your eyes peeled and to keep asking for advice whether or not it's in this forum or somewhere else because you want the input lag as low as possible. Now I don't know where I can help you with since I am in the same boat as you are currently and yet I have no 1st hand experience with it yet so I can't just give you a link to something if it may come up as a bad suggestion. But yeah thats my 2 cents here.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

djexotic
dark night

Post#3 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:47 pm

so basicilly it trial and error. well it look like i got some studying to do and looking up some convertors on amazon/ebay while reading the reviews on youtube.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#4 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:47 pm

I have the Atlona AT-HD500 vga to hdmi scaler that I use exclusively for DC. It costs as much if not more than a Framemeister and has far less functionality. However, it is studio quality and if their is any lag it is undetectable by our eyes.

Alot of people that capture Dreamcast video use a cheaper vga to component converter. That way your converting analog to analog with no upscaling, thus skipping the extra analog to digital conversion process (vga to hdmi) with no lag. You'll need to get a cheaper capture card that has component inputs if yours doesn't already. Luckily they dont cost that much but it is the best way to capture DC footage with no lag :P

djexotic
dark night

Post#5 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:32 am

well no matter what i do i still run into lag. i just notice something after i find the vga to hdmi upscaler box i am going to get online for my streaming on youtube/twitch. since that i got the vga box that is connect to my dreamcast, then my vga to my hdmi box that is going to go threw a hdmi splitter (one go to my tv and the other to my pc). i am going to face a lag. when i was looking at this lay out of how i am going to set it up, i knew from right their and then i am going to face lag no matter what even if i find a better solution i will still be getting lag. still going to wait and see after i get my vga to hdmi convertor box and my hdmi splitter when i set this up. so wish me luck guys.

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#6 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:43 pm

VGA to Component = Analog to Analog = Most lag free way to capture Dreamcast. Whenever you make the conversion to HDMI you get lag. Look it up. Search the forums. Watch youtube videos. I don't know why you don't believe me that this is the only good option to stream Dreamcast footage due to it using VGA.

djexotic
dark night

Post#7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:21 pm

sorry about that, i didn't read your post. i do understand i have to go from vga to component cables to not get lag but this capture card i have work really great for my recording or streaming. idk if i can find another card that have component input or the software since i was looking for a composite cables option since i seen those all over ebay. i just gotta wait and see what happen when i get the box and splitter for my set up. i do know for a fact when i was testing out my retron 5 and ps4 it work good because of the hdmi.

btw, can anybody tell me if the dreamcast can get a hdmi mod or board development like the hi-def nes board.

Return to “Lounge”