Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide

Post#491 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:59 pm

Anyone else trying these patched images with fenrir or just me? Haven't been able to get most of them to boot with it.
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

tom9808
shadow

Post#492 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:33 pm

Tried to get a match going with Retrospector for almost 2 hours to 0 luck, just answering, then failing to even exchange information. If anyone that knows the VOIP connectivity stuff well could give me a hand/ do some testing with me, id greatly appreciate it :(

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#493 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:59 am

Ok so I emailed CED ( creator of the fenrir ode) and I think he is going to work with me on figuring out why some of the patched xband games boot on fenrir, but most do not. Hopefully its an easy firmware update! Fingers crossed!
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Xiden
Developer

Post#494 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:59 pm

tom9808 wrote:Tried to get a match going with Retrospector for almost 2 hours to 0 luck, just answering, then failing to even exchange information. If anyone that knows the VOIP connectivity stuff well could give me a hand/ do some testing with me, id greatly appreciate it :(

Send me a PM, we can arrange a time to setup testing

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#495 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:11 am

Hey guys.
I've just ordered a Saturn Net Link (black cart) modem and the LINKSYS VOIP box (SPA1001) suggested in the first post. I have an ethernet cable but will need a phone line cable for it and have run into a problem which I'm hoping to resolve before the items arrive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-SIZES-SO ... Sw4SlV8a06
This eBay shows the two different connectors for phone line cables, and I'm not sure which one I need. I can easily assume (due to the cartridge size) that the Net Link takes an RJ11 end. However I have no comparison shots for the size of the CISCO/LINKSYS VOIP box, and as such I can't tell if the phone line port is the same size as the Saturn (RJ11) or the larger RJ45.

Can someone let me know which cable is correct? RJ11 to RJ11 or RJ11 to RJ45.

I'll also be playing these games via Fenrir, though I doubt that should make any significant difference.

Xiden
Developer

Post#496 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:01 pm

Roareye wrote:Hey guys.
I've just ordered a Saturn Net Link (black cart) modem and the LINKSYS VOIP box (SPA1001) suggested in the first post. I have an ethernet cable but will need a phone line cable for it and have run into a problem which I'm hoping to resolve before the items arrive.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-SIZES-SO ... Sw4SlV8a06
This eBay shows the two different connectors for phone line cables, and I'm not sure which one I need. I can easily assume (due to the cartridge size) that the Net Link takes an RJ11 end. However I have no comparison shots for the size of the CISCO/LINKSYS VOIP box, and as such I can't tell if the phone line port is the same size as the Saturn (RJ11) or the larger RJ45.

Can someone let me know which cable is correct? RJ11 to RJ11 or RJ11 to RJ45.

I'll also be playing these games via Fenrir, though I doubt that should make any significant difference.

Its standard phoneline so rg11 to rg11.

I use a phoebe ode myself and it works great:)

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#497 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:05 am

Thanks Xiden.

I have the cartridge now but none of the cables or VOIP box yet (all awaiting delivery).
I'm booting up some online games - specifically Sega Rally Championship Plus Net Link Edition - and no online play options are in the menus, but Netlink Edition is on the title screen.

I figured it booted a fully offline version of the game until it detected the Netlink modem, but apparently not? I want to know what to look for to know if the cart I just bought it actually working

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#498 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:14 am

Roareye wrote:
I figured it booted a fully offline version of the game until it detected the Netlink modem, but apparently not? I want to know what to look for to know if the cart I just bought it actually working

Yes that's the way that works. Should boot into the netlink splash page when it boots with modem inserted. Maybe your cart slot is getting faulty?
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#499 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:43 am

Hmm possible. Any known fixes? It boots the official memory cart flawlessly but it says the King of Fighters 95 ROM Cart is not inserted correctly the three times I've tried that. I'll give the contacts a clean and hopefully that'll help

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#500 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:31 pm

Okay, cleaned it out and it's working. I'm surprised at how gross the cart slot was considering everything else is super clean.

I have the US NetLink modem, those games are booting into the XBand menu just fine. The Japanese SegaNet modem games don't boot into XBand (I presume because they used a different system). Do I need a patch to make these compatible with the NetLink?