Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
hipsofjw
shadow

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide

Post#541 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:03 am

Hey everyone, bought a Japanese Saturn modem on a whim since someone was selling a CIB one for $25 locally. A few questions:

- What does it mean for a SPA1001 to be locked/unlocked? There are a few for sale in my area for super cheap, but I don't know what to ask before buying.

- Is it still impossibly slow to play people outside your own continent? I'm in Asia, so I kind of doubt I will be able to find anyone to play with the current setup if that's the case.

- I already have a Dreampi for my DC. If I were to use that to connect to the internet and use the browser, how can I find my IP address for port forwarding/DMZ?

- Is online play through the Dreampi still a possibility in the future?

Thanks!

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#542 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:34 pm

- What does it mean for a SPA1001 to be locked/unlocked? There are a few for sale in my area for super cheap, but I don't know what to ask before buying.

It means you can fully configure it and have admin access. A lot of these were provided by a VOIP service provider and had a lot of the settings disabled to the end user.

- Is it still impossibly slow to play people outside your own continent? I'm in Asia, so I kind of doubt I will be able to find anyone to play with the current setup if that's the case.

Yes, playing outside your continent rarely works.

- I already have a Dreampi for my DC. If I were to use that to connect to the internet and use the browser, how can I find my IP address for port forwarding/DMZ?

It will be the same as the Dreamcast. However, if you're just using the browser, you don't need port forwarding/DMZ

It's still a possibility, but no one is actively working on it and it would likely only be marginally better than the current VOIP method. There is a serial port adapter and driver being worked on for Netlink/Xband but if it ever works out, it's still a ways out in the future.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#543 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:31 am

hipsofjw wrote:Hey everyone, bought a Japanese Saturn modem on a whim since someone was selling a CIB one for $25 locally. A few questions:

Thanks!

Hey. I'm also in Asia. Let me know if you get setup and we can try and have a game.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#544 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:23 pm

So, a few posts back I said no one is working on a Dreampi tunneler. I decided to finally start tackling it. Early results are promising and much better than VoIP. Here's a sample: https://youtu.be/Rdly0P4Yq7g

I'm currently looking to test this out with a number of different people. I don't have it integrated into Dreampi yet, so if you have a PC, a dreampi compatible modem, the ability to run the current patched games and some basic command line and Python familiarity let me know.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#545 » Thu May 26, 2022 2:54 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:So, a few posts back I said no one is working on a Dreampi tunneler. I decided to finally start tackling it. Early results are promising and much better than VoIP. Here's a sample: https://youtu.be/Rdly0P4Yq7g

I'm currently looking to test this out with a number of different people. I don't have it integrated into Dreampi yet, so if you have a PC, a dreampi compatible modem, the ability to run the current patched games and some basic command line and Python familiarity let me know.

This is great, I can't wait to test it.
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

play134
shadow

Post#546 » Tue May 31, 2022 8:06 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:So, a few posts back I said no one is working on a Dreampi tunneler. I decided to finally start tackling it. Early results are promising and much better than VoIP. Here's a sample: https://youtu.be/Rdly0P4Yq7g

I am available if you need long distance testing. a question -- is no additional hardware needed to send RING ?

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#547 » Tue May 31, 2022 6:58 pm

You need to use the patched games from the first post because they have the RING fix already. No additional hardware needed.

livingonwheels
lithium

Post#548 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:31 pm

It's been a few years since I last went online with my Saturn. Are there issues using the patched games with the Satiator? I've never had issues before, but now I get "no answer at this telephone number" no matter what game or browser I use. I've read that you can use Dreampi for the Saturn Planetweb browsers, but I believe I've done so before without ever using a DreamPi, am I correct? Nothing in my configurations has changed (except using the Satiator), but I was probably one of the first to use users to use the Netlink back when it relaunched here, and perhaps setup has changed?
Edit: Upon further testing, I noticed I can't connect with even original discs. Be aware, I'm only attempting to connect to the "Netlink Zone" found in these games, I'm not trying to connect to another player.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#549 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:15 pm

They should be fine with Dreampi

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#550 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:01 pm

For anyone interested in being a beta tester, the first Dreampi compatible tunneler is now available here: https://github.com/eaudunord/Netlink/re ... 1_beta.zip

In the zip are instructions for transferring two scripts to the dreampi and how to use it. Keep in mind that this is still being worked on and future updates will happen.

Maybe most importantly, this does not break compatibility with Dreamcast online gaming.