Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Re: Official Sega Saturn NetLink VOIP Guide

Post#551 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:05 pm

Thanks for your continued hard work SegaRPGFan!

hipsofjw
shadow

Post#552 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:32 am

I'm excited! I'll get it set up soon and start testing. Is there somewhere people are setting up games?

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#553 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:11 am

The Sega Saturn Shiro! Discord is the main hub for setting up games. https://discord.gg/SSJuThN
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#554 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:16 am

Did some matches with Retrospector yesterday and it worked great! :)

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#555 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:37 pm

It's been a while since I've checked in to this thread. Just wanted to give a heads up that Saturn online is working great and a good group of us have been regularly playing. If you're a Dreampi user, I've got a custom Image that will do Dreamcast, Saturn and SNES/Genesis online. You can also run a version of the software on PC that will do Saturn and SNES/Genesis.

https://www.segasaturnshiro.com/getting ... ck-online/

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Post#556 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:55 pm

I'm in Hong Kong but I'd like to try to play a game online. I guess it won't work well over continents but maybe it'll be fine?
aka DavidHK on DC games.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#557 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:23 pm

Ho-ly! Does it feature same bit of DreamPi automation when I finally break out Netlink from bubble mailer and swap phone cord between? And is Genesis+SNES Xband finally figured out for real?

EDIT: A quick read on that guide oh my DreamPi's IP ending .98 is DMZ'd but it will be assigned another to push Saturn? As to patched games well I've unpatched burns, they need patch to network (where please)? Another note my Phantom modchip well it cannot boot other region some blasted reason strictly NTSC-U hope there's region-free within the patches too

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#558 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:28 am

Everything you need is at saturn.dreampipe.net. you may need to patch the region. I tried to make them region free, but I guess that doesn't work for all games. There are port forwards that need to be made to the pi itself for Saturn/SNES/Genesis, so DMZing the Dreamcast is not enough. Dreamcast, Saturn etc. detection is automatic.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#559 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:31 pm

Pardon but I can't tell what is patched vs vanilla archive.org content? I compared from saturnpipe to my burn but the filesize matches up.. all I am going on sorry curious thought

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#560 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:00 pm

For US games only the modem initialization is changed. That's necessary to work with a Dreampi style setup where you can't ring the line.

For JP games, the Xband OS is replaced with a dev version which allows peer to peer connections bypassing a matching server. Modem initialization is also changed for the same reason as US games.