Official Sega Saturn NetLink Guide

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Xiden
Developer

Re: SaturnPi

Post#81 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:58 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:
-drez01- wrote:I suggest you turn the network jitter level to low to avoid unnecessary latency. Reduces local ping time by roughly 200 milliseconds.

You're right, the jitter level will probably have to be played with. For the netlink at least, we'll have to find a balance. Too low of a buffer could lead to synchronization issues.

just tried it but its saying no answer I 'll PM'd you what I tried

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#82 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:37 am

This was working a few days ago, I powered everything off, and now it won't work. Very frustrating. I have some ideas but I'm not sure when I'll have the time to work on it.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Xiden
Developer

Post#83 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Are you sure these can work without a voip provider? I was reading that you have to direct ip dial with a dialing plan

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#84 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:43 pm

Xiden wrote:Are you sure these can work without a voip provider? I was reading that you have to direct ip dial with a dialing plan

The dial plan defines what types of calls, numbers etc can be called. It's not a plan in the sense of a provider plan, think of it more as a config file.

Most of the documentation for direct IP dialing recommends adding a speed dial number to the dial plan. It makes it easy by defining a speed dial of say "34" as an IP address so you dony have to manually dial 127*0*0*1# everytime you want to dial that IP.

I had everything working before, I must have changed something since I last had it working. I need to go over everything again.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#85 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:04 am

I updated the configuration screenshots.

I was missing a few things so that it can work over the internet. The adapter needs to know its public IP. The STUN server setting is supposed to take care of that, but I can't get it to work. I disabled that and manually entered my IP. Also, port 5060 only sends the signalling packets, you also have to forward ports 16384-16482 UDP to get the audio packets. I made a few other minor changes that may or may not have helped, but with the current setup I can call my dial-in server from the internet and hear the modem try to answer. I assume it should work now.

Xiden
Developer

Post#86 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:28 am

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:I updated the configuration screenshots.

I was missing a few things so that it can work over the internet. The adapter needs to know its public IP. The STUN server setting is supposed to take care of that, but I can't get it to work. I disabled that and manually entered my IP. Also, port 5060 only sends the signalling packets, you also have to forward ports 16384-16482 UDP to get the audio packets. I made a few other minor changes that may or may not have helped, but with the current setup I can call my dial-in server from the internet and hear the modem try to answer. I assume it should work now.

I'll try it this afternoon once I'm off work and let you know the results

Xiden
Developer

Post#87 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Made a pretty awesome break through today. I was able to connect to Sega RGP Fans internet via VOIP with my saturn to his dreampi :D

Next step testing netlink games!

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#88 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:41 pm

im down for the first rally gamenight...

hawkzer0
dirty sailor

Post#89 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:03 pm

yaaaaay
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#90 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Took some doing, but I think we have the setup figured out. We'll test some bomberman next. I'm cautiously optimistic :) Stay tuned.