The Dreamcast Scene Is On The Verge Of Death And No One Seems To Notice

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
HuntrRose
Vagabond

Re: The Dreamcast Scene Is On The Verge Of Death And No One Seems To Notice

Post#21 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm

sweet necro bump...

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#22 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:31 pm

Well, when the game In the line of fire didn't get the money I was thinking about this. However if you look to the scene today it is much better than before, here are the reasons:

- We are getting most of the online games recovered.
- Play online now is for everyone with DreamPi (Before only who had more knowledge like preparing a DCPC server could join).
- A lot of the new games for retro consoles on kickstarter have a Dreamcast version.
- New accessories are showing up everyday like the retrobit controllers, akura, ps4/ps3 controller adapter, etc...
- GDEMU, USB GD, DreamShell are bring from the death a lot of dead consoles and will expand the life of all consoles as well.
- Dreamcast pages and groups on social media are just increasing in number of people. Dreamcast Junkyard/Dreamcast Brasil for example has more than 10k people.
- With help of technology people who don't know english are joining the communities as well.
- Producers like JoshProd are making tons of new games, including 3D games.

What I think that's missing for the Dreamcast community in general is work more together. We have people from North/South America, Europe and Asia doing different projects, we all could help each other spreading the word about our projects, etc...
Last edited by NeoSnk on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

Caspian
core

Post#23 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:32 pm

The fact that almost two years after the original post was up, we are still around talking about it is proof enough that the "Dreamcast Scene" is not "on the verge of death".

Granted, we will not see Shenmue 3 on the Dreamcast, but the important think is that powering-up the Dreamcast for some video-gaming action is still relevant for quite a few of its owners.

ZiggyTheHamster
shadow

Post#24 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 pm

Maybe it was on the verge of death in 2016, but it seems to me like the DC scene is getting better and better. It's going to take all of our talents to keep advancing, but you can basically already see that. I joined an online game the other day for a game that has been basically dead for 15 years and another human joined me. I didn't make any announcements, I just booted up AFO to see how well my DreamPi patches were working. And another human noticed and joined me.

If anything, I think that 2018 will be the year of the Dreamcast.

FlorreW
Animated Violence

Post#25 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

My setup at home: 2 x dreamcast , one with Dreamshell the other with Usb-Gdrom. When i have ppl over that tries it for the first time they always seems very positive about it , and thats now in 2017/18 .... app 20 years later. The scene ? Personally i wish i could have added something to it , but i am no programmer and have no time learning to. Still ithink as NeoSnk stated, that its very "alive" atm. More online games added all the time ( annoying thou with the time differences europe - usa =( ) And new games actually being made all the time.

This year is really exciting ! Intrepid Izzy , you gotta be kidding me , we are spoiled. Now the Senile Team do indeed only release quality products , and this one is something that im sure gonna be great ! And lets not foorget Xenocider , that also looks great. Slave ? maybe , Xeno Crisis looks like it can be a really fun game !

Im proud to have the Dreamcast as my primary console , i love playing games on it and i know i will always do. Now if you excuse me , i have to continue playing 'Tokyo Highway challange !

Take care friends <3

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#26 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:13 pm

Love seeing so much enthusiasim for the Dreamcast!

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#27 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:51 pm

There is no other place I would rather be then here!

Shuouma
Developer

Post#28 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 am

I actually just stopped by in 2016, never thought the community would be this great, so I stuck around and while at it getting some more games back online :)

There are still issues we need to resolv like, you can see people online on Dreamcast Now, but they have no idea this page even exists.

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#29 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Shuouma wrote:There are still issues we need to resolv like, you can see people online on Dreamcast Now, but they have no idea this page even exists.

To bad we couldn't put adds up in the servers.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#30 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:23 am

Agreed, Mr.V.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs