has Shenmue aged well??

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
lastcallgames
Vagabond

Re: has Shenmue aged well??

Post#31 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 am

georgiaboi372 wrote:Different topic all together?? But what i'm asking is connected to my questioning on wether or not this game is good and wether or not its worth buying in 2016

Well I said yes, and even in 2016 it's still a great game. Plus the arcade games are great (it was the first time I'd ever played Space Harrier, believe it or not). Honestly I might just start the game again fresh just to experience it again, and I very very rarely replay story driven games.

Dbarker89 wrote:Coincidentally, believe it or not I did win both games in excellent condition on ebay today.

Both games for £70.00, I foolishly sold my old copies years ago to help my brother raise a bit of money. Completed the first and only got half way through on the second.

Cant wait to experience again from scratch. By today's standards this once revolutionary game does look outdated, no doubt about it.

On the other hand I still believe it has the power to immerse gamers into the experience.

Sega may have been naive & arrogant in it's conjuration, yet it's awesome they invested so much into a game that to this day feels as if it was for the benefit of the players.

It makes me wonder why Sega went ahead with the sequel. Sega essentially produced an iconic series, at the detriment to their own financial health.

Guess the risk taking element was one of the few bold tactics to sway consumers away from the lurking shadow of the Playstation 2.

That's not a terrible price for both games. Hell Shenmue 2 usually goes for almost that by itself (because America only got it on the Xbox).
Also the budget that's usually thrown around was really for both games, since they were developed in tandem. Originally the story of 1 and 2 was going to be on the first game on the Saturn, if you can believe that (which might be why you play a Saturn at home, now that I think about it). So I think they were already knee deep in development for 2 when the first game came out and the DC was dying.

Dbarker89
undertow

Post#32 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:25 pm

Ah I never knew that, only that Shenmue was prototyped on Saturn.

Yes I am very chuffed with the purchase, saw Shenmue 2 recently go for £75.00! Above what I paid for the two! Lol

GameOverYeah
Graffiti Grind

Post#33 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:51 pm

lastcallgames wrote:
GameOverYeah wrote:I think the cheese adds to its charm.

Also: in the American release, much of the cheese was due to the vocals.

Those are very true, but didn't they use the US vocals for the Euro port?

Sorry, I forgot that Europe existed. haha

'Murica

Dear OP:

Don't let a review sway it. You gotta see for yourself. I think anyone who appreciates beauty, appreciates this game. (even if they do not care for the actual gameplay)

jdollatari
rebel

Post#34 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:43 am

graphics wise no gameplay and story wise yes. it really needs a refresh on current gen consoles
It's still thinking :D

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#35 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 pm

don't listen to the "Argument" guys like these make
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwXb5_us7TY
it really irks me when guys like this spread crap like this with no evidence, like "sonic was never good" and "green hill zone from sonic 2"
Shenmue is a amazing game and is a one of a kind

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#36 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:58 pm

I have no wordy explanation to back it up.. but I feel like it has...

krssn
Metallic

Post#37 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:58 pm

jdollatari wrote:graphics wise no

I find if the graphics don't hurt your eyes, it has aged well graphics wise.

So do the graphics make you cringe?...

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#38 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:19 pm

The story is timeless, however the frequent and long loading times were a bit bothersome on replay.
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

MisterTipp
rebel

Post#39 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:22 am

Shenmue is really interesting. I have played for a few hours, and if nothing else, it's really different. I went in with an extremely negatively biased opinion, and I still stand by many of those points. I want to continue playing tho.

But seriously, it feels like everyone in Shenmue has autism...

scaryred24 wrote:
georgiaboi372 wrote:just found this review. honestly i think this might of turned me off from the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gTxN9kO90w

Don't be turned off. It isn't one of those games where a review would sway you decision on playing it. Just buy the game and at least try it out for like 2-4 hours just so it can grow on you. If you ended up not liking it, you can always sell it to someone else who would want to get into it, and make nearly all of your profit back in return. It is a polarizing game from what information I have gathered over the last 15+ years, and just saying that it may turn you off before even getting the game, or even trying to be optimistic about it would send a false message to a fan base that already that already holds it at high regards. Having a negative first impression only pisses them off that you could be possibly defacing a "sacred cow" and will make your presents known throughout the community. I haven't played the game myself, but I've learned about it's ups and downs, but no not have anything else to say about it until I at least make an effort on playing it.

I'm going to have to say that for a game to require 2-4 hours to grow on you before you want to play it, is a bit absurd...

gjb1985
drunken sailor

Post#40 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:10 pm

georgiaboi372 wrote:let me start this off by saying i have never played Shenmue and i've grown interested wether or not i should spend money on this game. i tend to go for more linear play. an example of games i actually dont care for; resident evil 2 and final fantasy xii. idk bottom line i just dont want to spend money on a game that i might not end up liking. i feel i could potentially enjoy Shenmue but at the same time i have no clue.

shenmue 2 has aged a lot better. be sure to play both to get the real picture.

for me shenmue (2) is the best game ever made by far and still holds up with ease