phenoms work

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
kazade
Developer

Re: phenoms work

Post#21 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Slow? No, it was really fast. And it is in KOS (it's in kos-ports named "libGL").

But although it's fast, it's not without issues. It uses a lot of memory (5M+ baseline) which on a machine with 16M total is pretty limiting. It's also very buggy, it doesn't respect glClientState, has a bunch of issues with strides to glVertexPointer etc, has broken mipmap support etc.

I tried to fix a bunch of these issues but then decided that it would be better to do a complete rewrite so I've started working on that here: https://github.com/Kazade/GLdc

Although mine is currently slow without near-Z clipping. But it is being used for at least 1 game.

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#22 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:52 am

Also, just to chime in on kazade's libgl, I would like to see it replace PH3NOM's in kos-ports going forward (since PH3NOM is not working on his anymore) when it becomes more feature complete. ;-)

lerabot
blackout!

Post#23 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:19 am

+1 for Kazade's libGL. Been using it for a while now :D
Indie Game Studio

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#24 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:24 pm

You know....

I'd like to think Sega would be cool n be like "guys...have fun..make games!" But...there's also probably legalities involved...potential copyright issues... If you don't legally enforce your copyrights (at least in America) then you can potentially lose them etc...

Wether Sega renews these types of trademarks is anyone's guess.

I know Sega said they are cool with private PSO servers so long as they aren't in tandem with a subscription fee. So clearly they are cooler than say Nintendo cause Nintendo would do everything they can do shut ANY stuff like this down ASAP.

I mean damn it'd be cool to sega an officially licensed Dreamcast game in 2018. I mean that would just be really damn cool.

Aleron Ives
Outrun

Post#25 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:31 pm

OfManNotMachine wrote:Sega said they are cool with private PSO servers so long as they aren't in tandem with a subscription fee.

Sega has never issued any formal statements on private PSO servers to my knowledge. We just assume by their silence that they don't care.
"Fear the HUnewearl."

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#26 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:31 am

I could've sworn I had read on the Ephinea server they were told by Sega as long as they werent trying to make money off of it they didn't care.

OfManNotMachine
letterbomb

Post#27 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:32 am

Regardless....

Seeing as private PSO servers have been around for over a decade, someone at Sega has to know about them, so I'm sure it's safe to say as long as nobody is trying to make cash from it, they probably don't give a crap.

If this was a Nintendo product, they'd have shut that stuff down 3 seconds after the first private server launched

BlueCrab
Developer

Post#28 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 pm

I highly doubt anyone's ever specifically asked Sega for permission -- mainly because if they were to ask and Sega were to object, they'd really have no recourse.

That said, I know there was some video posted on twitter (or some other social media) with Sega employees responding to emails/tweets whatnot, and the issue of PSO servers came up... I'll have to see if I can find the video again at some point.

That said, this has veered quite a bit off the original topic of this post. ;-)

Jenkins
MicroMidget

Post#29 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm

That you for all the replys and to bring some light into the darkness. Keep up the great work, kazade, bluecrab and lerabot!

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#30 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:18 am

the photos in the original post are pretty damn impressive. imo, "in the line of fire" didn't look nearly as good as this, but probably because how early the demo was
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net