Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Omnibot2000
MegaDeath

Re: Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Post#11 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:40 pm

I love mecha games and Virtua On is an important part of SEGA's history. Both console ports are technically impressive, real showcases for their systems and were afaik very successful in Japan. I think Twin Stick control is essentiaI for these two. I remember that the Saturn version got bashed badly in the german gaming media because of the complicated controls ... a real shame that those accessories never made it outside of Japan.
I already own the Saturn Twin Stick and the Dreamcast version is, thanks to this thread, on its way to me.

I must admit that my favorite mecha game is GunGriffon 2 though. Of course also played with the twin stick.
I'm looking forward to the arrival of the Gundam Side Story-Collection/trilogy "The blue Destiny" (part 2 & 3 support the Twin Stick) for my Saturn. Judging from some videos it seems to be much faster paced then the GunGriffons.

My favorite Jaguar game is Iron Soldier 2 and I almost bought a Nuon just to experience part 3 in all its glory. I'm also still tempted to buy one of these ugly, chunky XBoxes just for Steel Battalion and its awesome controller :lol:

beanboy
Wazza

Post#12 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 pm

I played Virtual On a few weeks ago, but on a dreamcast emulator. It was alot of fun.
And of course, the mech I play, is Temjin. :lol: 8-)

One of these days, I'll definitely have to get, a physical copy of that game.
Because it definitely is, an outstanding game. :D

louis012345678
Doom

Post#13 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:33 am

I've never played the Dreamcast version. I own the saturn version (I don't have the twin sticks though) and it's a decent game and the controls are easy to get used to, even with a standard pad. I cannot for the life of me get past stage 3 though :lol:

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#14 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:48 am

I've had the DC game for ages, and have always thought about getting the twin sticks. I could never justify it for only one game (officially), but with a few indies adding compatibility, I might have to hunt one down.

beanboy
Wazza

Post#15 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:53 pm

Yeah, who could forget, the twin sticks controller, for that game. :D

Sega RPG

Post#16 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:12 am

bought it, spent lots of money on it but it was worth it...

OGDCFAN99
Arabian Night

Post#17 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:26 pm

Which indie games are going to be/are compatible with the twin sticks?

beanboy
Wazza

Post#18 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:51 pm

247 wrote:bought it, spent lots of money on it but it was worth it...

Cool! :D

Sega RPG

Post#19 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:24 am

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Which indie games are going to be/are compatible with the twin sticks?

indie i don't know but i can tell you the twin stick works flawlessy with heavy metal geomatrix, i should say equal to virtual on and with some refinements even on quake 3...

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#20 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 am

OGDCFAN99 wrote:Which indie games are going to be/are compatible with the twin sticks?

At least Xeno Crisis. I think SLaVE was trying, but they're having enough trouble.