Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Post#1 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:13 am

So just few moments ago, my friend Nostalgic and I met up to play VOOT in Vs. Head to Head mode (thank you Vs. Link Cable!) at our usual gaming spot. He wanted to test out and put to use his newly acquired DC Virtual Twin Stick controller (Lucky Jerk :lol: ). Clocked in about 25 matches within an hour.
It suddenly hit me afterwards just how amazing a game it can be to play but more importantly, how little praise this gem of Dreamcast game gets. Beautiful Graphics, Blistering speeds, a rock solid framerate that falters for absolutely nothing. The music, oh such an addicting soundtrack!
Game has been rather significant for me this year. Finding someone who has an intrest in the game as much (or more than) as I has certainly been beneficial. Entering my first ever Mecha themed/Virtual On tournament. I got destroyed but it was an eye opening experience witnessing its respectice scene and how the game is played at a higher level. The game's scene has grown slightly as a result of its most recent release on XBLA with Sega's own AM2 crafting an amazing conversion on XB 360. For me tho, I still enjoy playing it on my trusty DC :D
It's the ultimate Mecha combat game ever created IMO. What about you? Do you still play it? Is it part of your DC library? What are your thoughts on the subject?
Attachments
cover_orig.jpeg
virtual-on-oratorio-tangram-cover.jpeg
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

krssn
Metallic

Re: Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram

Post#2 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:32 am

CD AGES wrote:It's the ultimate Mecha combat game ever created IMO.

Steel Battalion?... :mrgreen:

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#3 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:40 am

Lets not forget about frame gride :mrgreen:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

rjay63
Beats of Rage

Post#4 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:21 pm

CD AGES:

Could you make a movie of the game being played using the vs cable? It's just that no-one seems to have done a proper video showing off this feature.
My Metropolis Street Racer Blog: http://www.msrdreamcast.blogspot.com
MSR ghosts/time trials and official DLC: https://www.dreamcastlive.net/metropoli ... r-dlc.html

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:58 pm

@ krssn and mazonemayu. I must respectfully disagree. Gundam Battle Assault 2 tho... :mrgreen:
Does Frame Gride have a 2 player versus mode?

rjay63 wrote:CD AGES:

Could you make a movie of the game being played using the vs cable? It's just that no-one seems to have done a proper video showing off this feature.

rjay63: I could certainly try. But how exactly would I go about showing off this particular 2 player feature properly in a video...? I'm open to your suggestion on the topic.

In the meantime, I recently found all the archived match footage that was streamed for the Virtual On tournament (Vector Strike) I participated in just a few months ago. In this set, I went up against top VOOT veteran player Schooly D. I was complete outclassed :( He took 2nd place at the tournament. He had an amazing grand finals set against 1st place winner Aniking. The Mecha themed event was a wonderful expereince.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Here's Grand Finals match set for the VOOT portion of the tournament. An amazing performance from both experienced players. I forgot mention, The XBLA 360 port of the game was used to run VOOT at this event. This version is apparently the tournament standard as its the most current/updated version of the game and head to head versus setup is much easier thanks to this versions system link feature. Control methods used in the event varied (Official Hori VO Twin Stick, Custom Twin Stick, Official DC twin stick 360 mod) with a good portion using standard 360 controller. Accodring to Schooly D, a majority of the playerbase for the game prefer the standard controller. Much easier to learn the game and makes execution alot easier.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#7 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:10 pm

But how exactly would I go about showing off this particular 2 player feature properly in a video...? I'm open to your suggestion on the topic.

You could record the replay and switch player views at key moments.

The replay mode graphics make me wonder how they did it. Blew me away the first time I saw it on Dreamcast.

One of those "this is the future" moments when I first played VO in the arcade back in the day 8-)

Dreamcastgaga
Roadster

Post#8 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:06 pm

It is underappreciated, but is considered old hat these days in Japan with the advancement in technology and the sheer number of these kind of titles available in the arcades now (there are god knows how many Gundam versions).

Personally, they blow my mind and I am unable to keep up with the motion sickness inducing action.

Egregore
core

Post#9 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:29 pm

I'm a fan of the saturn version. never played it on dreamcast, looks cool though.

One day i want to get Saturn VO netlink edition, a phone line simulator, and do some local netplay on two TV's.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#10 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:56 pm

AlecRob wrote:I'm a fan of the saturn version. never played it on dreamcast, looks cool though.

One day i want to get Saturn VO netlink edition, a phone line simulator, and do some local netplay on two TV's.

So am I. Cyber Toopers Virtual On is the first game in the series I played at a local arcade when I was kid. There was something special about the game that hooked me in. The Saturn port, while its a watered down conversion, is still a solid attempt to port the game home considering the hardware differences. I own both US and JPN ver.
I want that similar setup also with only difference in getting the Saturn Link Cable instead of the Netlink modem pair.
You should try VOOT on DC. Its a perfect port without any compromises. I guess we were lucky to get the game in the states thanks to Activision. I wasn't aware until recently that its not part of the PAL DC library.