VMU archiving project

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
streeker
fragger

Re: VMU archiving project

Post#51 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:47 pm

OatBob wrote:I think I get it. Spawn and Project Justice (Moero! Justice Gakuen / Rival Schools 2) were Capcom games, which frequently had a data transfer feature if you played on an arcade cab. Dynamite Cop had a DLC pack which included extra weapons and characters, so I think that's what's there.

Exactly. So, nothing undiscovered concerning minigames on that site. Good to know. Thanks!

streeker
fragger

Post#52 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:14 pm

OP updated...

streeker
fragger

Post#53 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Update:

++ added a new item:
Pier Solar: Pier Solar Minigame (Labyrinth) [Minigame]

FYI, it's hidden in "Ruin Town". Left to the entrance to "Sanctuary" there is a small room - use the radar to find the chest in the dark, lower right area of that room.

P.S. Damn imageshack!!! It seems, all the pictures I've uploaded there are gone...
Last edited by streeker on Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#54 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:11 pm

Very nice project! If I can help you with something let me know! I'm working in something similar, but I wasn't going so deep like you did!

http://titanide.kinghost.net/vmu.html
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

streeker
fragger

Post#55 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:00 pm

OatBob wrote:I peeked inside the VMI file with a hex editor, and saw that it points toward a download file called EVE0_BF_._VM

Since this file is purely DLC we may have to ask around some of the dreamcast DLC collectors on the net to find it. There is a download on the bswirl web page (but not the VMU tool CD). I'm trying it, but I haven't had any luck so far. I believe I need to clear the game to unlock the EXTRA mode. I think it may be like Power Stone where the Extra Mode may be the key to unlocking the minigame... and the minigame would unlock some gallery pis or something in return.

Revisiting the "Beam Force" issue:
Bummer! The download on the bswirl web page actually IS the sought-after minigame!! But I'm guessing, something went wrong during the upload: the VMI specifies the VMS as DATA (not GAME) and it's only 23 blocks instead of 24 - like it had been advertised on the "Eve Zero" website. Anyway, I've compiled another VMI for the VMS (this time specifying it as GAME) and transferred it to a VMU. It actually shows up as "Beam Force" in the DC's bios/VMU organizer, but it's not working properly, meaning: the VMU freezes once you try to start the game.

I might try to put an "Eve Zero" savefile on the VMU as well. Maybe the minigame is looking for some external data before it actually boots up. I don't know... Presumanly the download might just be corrupted. OatBob, what about you? Any progress on completing "Eve Zero"?

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#56 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:12 am

I have tried the file from the website, and also found it's a dud.

I'm playing Eve Zero at a glacial pace. I have finished 3 days out of seven (eight?). What's annoying is that there is a playthrough of the PlayStation version, but I think they cut out a few key parts (or backtracking) to make a streamlined story video.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

KostasGangstar
shadow

Post#57 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Errr is there a download for the vmu games and minigame collection?
I know that a few games miss btw

streeker
fragger

Post#58 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:53 am

Not yet. I have something on my mind and there will a release of all this sometime. But, to be honest, right now I have next to no spare time to finish this.

Nevertheless, which games do you know about, that are still missing on the list?

KostasGangstar
shadow

Post#59 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:26 pm

I don't know much about the vmu, I only know about the two missing games after reading this thread.

Have you checked the TOSEC pack?:

Sega Visual Memory System [TOSEC]

Maybe there's something you don't have there.
Pack can be found online easily, I didn't post a link incase it's illegal here.

streeker
fragger

Post#60 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Apart from "VMU Football" the TOSEC set only covers homebrew (PD) roms. These are not targeted within this project. For now, it's all about "officially released" VMU minigames.