VMU archiving project

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OatBob
BFG-10K

Re: VMU archiving project

Post#31 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:03 pm

Almost every game with a VMU minigame is made by a Japanese company. These are the few exceptions. Evil Twin and Speed Devils are made by Ubi Soft (out of France), and Trickstyle is made by Acclaim (USA). I just wanted to point out that the VMU minigame feature doesn't seem to have been as popular in the West.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

Blai
photon blast

Post#32 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:10 pm

Where does "(---) [Download]: VMU Football [Minigame]" come from? not from a game?

Also, it would be good to write the region where the original game was released or has the vmu app.

For example:

Culdcept 2: Culdcept 2 - Pocket Book [Application] (JP)
Evolution 2 - Far Off Promise: Linear Watch [Clock] (JP) (EU) (US) ---> in case the app is present in all three regions

streeker
fragger

Post#33 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:14 pm

Aaaaah, okay. Now I get it.
You're right about this. I guess, the VMU as a standalone "game system" has been far more popular in Japan. At least they even had commercials for the launch titles (the Godzilla ones, if I remember it correctly).

Anyway, "Namco Museum", which was developed by Mass Media (USA), would be another one for your list.

streeker
fragger

Post#34 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:23 pm

Blai wrote:Where does "(---) [Download]: VMU Football [Minigame]" come from? not from a game?

Also, it would be good to write the region where the original game was released or has the vmu app.

For example:

Culdcept 2: Culdcept 2 - Pocket Book [Application] (JP)
Evolution 2 - Far Off Promise: Linear Watch [Clock] (JP) (EU) (US) ---> in case the app is present in all three regions

"VMU Football" has been available via dreamcast.com back in the day - read more about it:
http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/10/02/vmu-football

Concerning the region listings..... I'm afraid, I don't have every version of every DC game worldwide to re-check them for this issue ;) Plus, some of these minigames I've rather downloaded myself instead of having tried to get them from the GDs.

Blai
photon blast

Post#35 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh I see, I thought you checked for every release

And about the football minigame, I didn't know about it at all. Thanks for the info!

streeker
fragger

Post#36 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:41 pm

While we're at it, I'm calling out again to the owners of the MOTHRA VMU. If anyone would be willing and able to dump the minigame untouched(!), that'd be an awesome contribution to this project as well! So far, I only have it with the monster already hatched.

It really is a simple task, if you have a Dreamcast SD adapter.
Last edited by streeker on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blai
photon blast

Post#37 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Also, I have another request. Could you explain a little bit what every minigame or application is about?
In the cases you know.

Also, you could explain how to get each minigame (beating the main game, in the options menu of the game, etc.) in the cases you know.

That would be good to know, for historical purposes.

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#38 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:25 am

I'm taking a stab at the Mothra Dream Battle manual. I can barely read kana signs, so anything with kanji requires the tedium of looking things up in a dictionary.

My understanding is that there are four menu options:
  1. Tournament - supports 8 players!!!
  2. War - 2player competitive mode or 3v3 team play
  3. Hall of Fame
  4. Option - This one only has one option - Turn the sound ON/OFF

The last page also has a ton of warnings. I only had time to do one OCR and Google translate attempt, which stated something along the lines of pressing the reset button or removing the batteries will lose any unsaved progress.

streeker
fragger

Post#39 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:00 pm

OatBob wrote:The last page also has a ton of warnings. I only had time to do one OCR and Google translate attempt, which stated something along the lines of pressing the reset button or removing the batteries will lose any unsaved progress.

Thanks. I will recommend this to the one Mothra owner I know. We'll see.

OatBob
BFG-10K

Post#40 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:28 pm

nah, I tried it already. I need to figure out what the others say.