Is there a video tutorial on sd card and games in English ?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Is there a video tutorial on sd card and games in English ?

Post#1 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:40 pm

DC SD Card Reader and DS4

Explaining how to put the 10-12 retail games that have said to work with sd card reader on, by changing and how to exactly, altering readme files, ip bins, etc?

How to get the dciso emu like SegaGen emu to actually run on it ?

How to get beats of rage homebrews to work off it.

If you install ds4, will it overwrite your dc o/s or should you use it as a cd-r app only?

Seriously many people ask, but the info is limited or confusing so if anybody knows a little about sd card reader can you please make a short video tutorial explaining it for me and others ?

everynewday84
Nemesis

Re: Is there a video tutorial on sd card and games in Englis

Post#2 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:51 pm

There is nothing confusing about using a sd reader... Simply put the file on the sd, then run it.
Installing ds4 is optional.
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Amazing because when I tried to run Sonic Adventure or any other "retail game" or iso off it it wouldn't work.

DC-Swat suggests downloading extra software to change bin files or to drag ip.bin in files to get games to work, I'm curious how to do this.

I know it is optional about ds4, but I was wondering if the ds4 o/s erases a dc o/s if there is one. I'm not sure if it's safe to do.

Many people have these questions about sd card reader btw, me, Adam, others here.

Family Dog
Anarki

Post#4 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 pm

djvectorman wrote:Amazing because when I tried to run Sonic Adventure or any other "retail game" or iso off it it wouldn't work.

You can't just use a regular .cdi file it has to be made into an sdiso, however sites like dcisozone.com have these ready for download so you don't have to do anything.

djvectorman wrote:DC SD Card Reader and DS4How to get the dciso emu like SegaGen emu to actually run on it ?

How to get beats of rage homebrews to work off it.

I have made a couple of homebrew sdiso's and it's dead easy. I followed instructions I found here http://www.dcisozone.com/tutorial/1430/ ... shell.html . You only need daemon tools if you have a .cdi file you need to get individual files out of (like the ip.bin or a roms folder if it's an emulator). If you have these files already like most homebrew games come, it's as simple copying all these files into Make_ISO/cd folder and then running makeiso and it should output to 'image.cdi' from memory. Then just copy to your SD card and away you go!

I have never tried to create a retail game sdiso myself, but I know the process is a bit different, sorry I can't help you there. Also when trying to boot a retail sdiso some of them take ages, so if you think it's frozen or not doing anything it may still be loading :)

djvectorman wrote:I know it is optional about ds4, but I was wondering if the ds4 o/s erases a dc o/s if there is one. I'm not sure if it's safe to do.

You can't actually install onto a regular dreamcast, you need to install a flashable BIOS chip. The tool that changes your dreamcast region won't work either without this. Running from cd-r is the best option anyway.
@guacasaurus_mex

everynewday84
Nemesis

Post#5 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:31 pm

if anyone has any questions, the dreamshell tutorial on YouTube would be a great place to start. Other tutorials available should be useful, too.
Last edited by everynewday84 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a message to you:
Do what you love; Love what you do.

Family Dog
Anarki

Post#6 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:32 pm

^ In regard to my last post, from memory the makeiso executables are called Create_homebrew_ISO and Create_Katana_ISO so maybe its as simple as running the katana file for retails. Never tried though sorry.
@guacasaurus_mex

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#7 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Ok thank you Family Dog.

Because I downloaded ryhthm of destruction on put on my sd card and it didn't work. Either did snes emu.

I'll try to convert as you say about others, that's why I'm asking about ip bin, readme changes put in a video tutorial.

Ok, I'll use ds4 as a cd-r app only.

Thank you for some insight.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#8 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 pm

everynewday84 wrote:Uhh, if anyone has any questions, the dreamshell tutorial on YouTube would be a great place to start.

"Uhhh" every video I saw (at least) didn't discuss changing readme files or dragging ip bin in to make certain retail games work or even some homebrew ones I'm trying to get to work. Some were in Russian with grainy video running so fast and chippy I couldn't get process.

Hence a overall English tutorial about these processes would help noobs.

I saw the ones discussing ds4, that isn't what I need to only know about though.
Last edited by #1phoenixsunsfan on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

#1phoenixsunsfan
Sunday Shootout

Post#9 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:41 pm

Do you mind linking me everynewday84 ?, I might have missed these tutorials then.

Family Dog
Anarki

Post#10 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:42 pm

djvectorman wrote:I'll try to convert as you say about others, that's why I'm asking about ip bin, readme changes put in a video tutorial.

As mentioned before I can't speak for retail games, but for homebrew just use the original IP.bin and readme files that came with the homebrew game and make sure they are all in the Make_ISO/cd folder before creating the image.

I have also heard people on other forums mention needing to change the ip.bin or some other file to get retails to work which is why I have never attempted myself.

Hope it all goes well :)
@guacasaurus_mex