King of Fighters Break Down

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#21 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:54 pm

At least the stages all have music, unlike KOF97

That was the fuck'n point!!! It only elevated the overall presentation so much more and created an amazing atmosphere that will forever go unrivaled in the franchise. Hearing the crowd chants, the commentators when applicable and the slight background theme settings was a wonderful touch to the overall presentation. And only the chosen were granted a background theme and they were EPIC! Athena, Shingo, Terry, Orochi Leona and Iori, the 97 special theme, the new rival team, the Orochi team and the boss himself! Shit was awesome and increadibly unique!
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#22 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:04 pm

ahhh fuck you sold it to me! I'm gonna have to get 97 :)

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:27 pm

Lol! I not sure if they have ported it over to DC via Neo4All, but the game is available pretty cheap on PS2 via KOF Orochi Collection. The game literally feels like 98 but with a story smaller but more polished roster, and one heck of a presentation. I'm sure you'll feel right at home with it considering your passion for 98 ;)

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#24 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:14 pm

That was the fuck'n point!!!

lol I know SNK did it on purpose. I personally think it was very unsatisfying and took away from the action to not have some energetic music - and as we can see, after '97, they went back to having music in every stage and not mere background ambiance.

Here are some more inflammatory opinions I have about KOF 97. I remember back in the day, eagerly anticipating '97, and then seeing the new Orochi team and being very let down. I felt that they didn't come close to matching the 96 boss team in terms of style, and that their character designs and fighting styles (especially Chris and Shermie) were a big stylistic departure from the previous KOFs and the other characters in the game. In my mind, seeing them and playing as them for the first time and looking at Shermie and Chris's unusual and improbable moves was similar to checking out KOF2001 for the first time and looking at how Eolith stuck in Angel and K9999. Even Orochi Iori and Orochi Leona with their sickly idle stances and gorilla sounding voices looked cartoonish and cheesy. And as cool as the orochi story idea was, I have to admit, making Yamazaki an orochi was also pretty cheesy - it's like all of a sudden everyone was popping up as orochi. Yamazaki is supposed to just be a bloodthirsty criminal psycho, not have some deeper riot of the blood reason behind it! It took away from his Fatal Fury background and seemed really stuck in - especially since he didn't really do anything in the Orochi story, and certainly wasn't on the same page with the other orochi characters (outside Leona) in terms of understanding the greater orochi significance and working for or against bringing back Orochi itself. Finally, I liked the Orochi boss characters' design, but he was a piece of cake to beat, especially compared to Goenitz and Chizuru.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#25 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:56 am

No what's unsatisfying is listening to the same theme song for every installment up to 98! 96 and 98 share some identicle soundtracks (Korea team, Chizuru, Japan Team, Ikari team etc.) Its a nice a change of pace with what they did with 97 in the audio deptartment.

You must be the first person I know that hates team CYS! And why the hell are you comparing them to the likes of an Overlord, a Crime Boss and a Pimp LMAO!!! CYS were modeled to counter and become the rivals of the Hero Team (Japan). Chris controls Fire, Yashiro the earth and Shermie wields lighting... Just like Kyo, Goro and Benimaru respectively. Now tell me, how the fuck does that depart from the KOF style!? CYS has perhaps the coolest looking designs next to Iori and they have a huge fan base which is why they appear in Dream Matches sub series like 02, Neowave and NGBC! Really, Angel and K4-9!? These and other additions to the roster were designed to cater to a demographic outside of Japan as Eolith (a dev outside of Japan) saw it fit to do so seeing how KOF has major appeal in South America and Korea. Angel has a major fanbase in Mexico and K4-9 has his own following (K4-9 rocks!). Yamazaki is 1 that represents the 8 serpents of the orochi! And not everyone has to have some history or origin that explains their Orochi heritage (although he bares a resemblence to Goenitz). I like the fact that there isn't much an explaination, it makes him more mysterious. Besides, Ryuji had little to no background in Fatal Fury so there is nothing that is being disregarded or tarnished with respects to his origin. Why can't he be a blood thirsty psycho that is driven by the bloodline. Yamazaki is perhaps the most unique of the 8.

jalvarez82
MicroMidget

Post#26 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:40 pm

I always wondered why SNK took out the music in KOF97. It was very weird at the time. And it didn't make the game any better at all. Oh well.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#27 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:08 pm

I actually think it could build a lot of tension. Just hearing the moves and an announcer as CD pointed out. Of course I've never played it so I can't say for sure if it was a good decision or not but I actually think it sounds pretty cool. KOF Android had some of the worst quality audio (it was almost inaudible like it was mixed terribly and it even seemed to lag!) I've ever heard so I wouldn't mind giving that a go without the soundtrack :D

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#28 » Thu May 03, 2012 6:35 pm

I always wondered why SNK took out the music in KOF97. It was very weird at the time. And it didn't make the game any better at all. Oh well.

I thought it worked pretty well in Last Blade. But having the ambiance better fits a 19th century samurai duel rather than a bunch of dudes who look like 1980s/1990s rock stars battling it out.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#29 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:02 pm

I thought it worked pretty well in Last Blade. But having the ambiance better fits a 19th century samurai duel rather than a bunch of dudes who look like 1980s/1990s rock stars battling it out.

Yes, beause Setsuna def doesn't fit that bill :lol:

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#30 » Thu May 03, 2012 7:28 pm

CD AGES wrote:Lol! I not sure if they have ported it over to DC via Neo4All, but the game is available pretty cheap on PS2 via KOF Orochi Collection. The game literally feels like 98 but with a story smaller but more polished roster, and one heck of a presentation. I'm sure you'll feel right at home with it considering your passion for 98 ;)

Probably take care of '97 either this week or next. There's old NEO4ALL RC3 versions around, but those typically used WAV->MP3->WAV conversions.