King of Fighters Break Down

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderator: mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
User avatar
RunNShoot
undertow
Posts: 25

King of Fighters Break Down

Post#1 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:26 pm

SNK, one of my favorite fighting games, had ALOT going on with the DC. I am trying to expand my knowledge on there King of Fighters Series. To my knowledge there were 5 releases, 2 USA 3 JPN

USA
KoF DreamMatch
KoF Evolution

JAPAN
KoF 2000
KoF 2001
KoF 2002

My question is are any of these games the same? For instance I think Evolution and 2000 are the same but different names,? im not sure. I have not been able to find 2001, has anyone played it?

Also for any KoF fans please tell me your dislikes and likes about all KoF series for dreamcast and which one is your favorite!

I enjoy KoF 2000
Image

User avatar
dark
Resident Evil
Posts: 1733

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#2 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 pm

They are all different games. Many of them have the same characters, drawn in the same style (sometimes with just minor alterations), with mostly the same moves between games.

KOF DreamMatch is basically KOF98 with 3d backgrounds
and Kof Evolution is KOF99 with 3d backgrounds

So in short, the kof releases on DC are:
KOF98
KOF99
KOF2000
KOF2001
KOF2002

These are all different games.

98 and 2002 are "dream matches" where there is no over arching story and it is just a bunch of characters together in the game who maybe otherwise wouldn't fit together via the KOF story at the time. 99, 2000, and 2001 have stories.

User avatar
CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Posts: 2316
Contact:

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#3 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:04 pm

I have not been able to find 2001, has anyone played it?


Yes! It's the first KOF to be designed by a new developer (Eolith) and it shows. Many consider it the black sheep in the KOF franchise due to the radical design changes in the games team structure (no KOF has a playbook like 2001 when it comes to team synergy and no KOF game ever will!) and very abstract artwork. I personally enjoy the game and the DC port is the most accurate version outside of Neo Geo hardware.

Also for any KoF fans please tell me your dislikes and likes about all KoF series for dreamcast and which one is your favorite!


DM99 and Evo not being VGA compatible is a major gripe for me. My most favorite is def 2002! but i do enjoy 2000 and Evo and 2001 very much as well.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

User avatar
CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Posts: 2316
Contact:

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#4 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:17 pm

and Kof Evolution is KOF99 with 3d backgrounds


Don't forget, Evolution throws in a montley crew of new strikers to unlock and use (and each one has an alternate Dark version too) that are not in any other version or port of KOF 99 (don't count Nests collection on PS2).

Speak of which, can anyone here confirm that Strikers, Syo and Gai are available in the US version? Or were they removed by Agetec? This question has bugged me for quite some time as I cannot find an answer.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

User avatar
RunNShoot
undertow
Posts: 25

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#5 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:28 pm

ah that makes sense now. It seems every review I read I hear the same thing "This is my favorite KOF of all time" even for the 2001 edition and 1998 edition on NEOGEO.

Im looking for a KOF Expert to break it down for me and really tell me which is the greatest of all time.
Image

User avatar
CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Posts: 2316
Contact:

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#6 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:45 pm

It varies! Just about every KOF in the series has a loyal following and each continent around the globe has tournaments for just about each installment they favor and excel at

If you ask me the top all time greatest KOF's are

KOF 98
KOF 02
KOF XI ( this installment caters to a different demographic due to its drastic but most enjoyable tag team mechanic. Tournaments for XI are still aplenty)
KOF XIII ( SNKP latest offering has already made waves across the community and is a future classic!)
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

User avatar
RunNShoot
undertow
Posts: 25

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#7 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 pm

CD AGES wrote:It varies! Just about every KOF in the series has a loyal following and each continent around the globe has tournaments for just about each installment they favor and excel at

If you ask me the top all time greatest KOF's are

KOF 98
KOF 02
KOF XI ( this installment caters to a different demographic due to its drastic but most enjoyable tag team mechanic. Tournaments for XI are still aplenty)
KOF XIII ( SNKP latest offering has already made waves across the community and is a future classic!)


I see what your saying. Is there a website that gives some short detail on the difference between them all?

I have to say, I have played all 5 for the Dreamcast today and I am kind of leaning towards 2K1 as my favorite. Like you said the art work is different, I like it.
Image

User avatar
CD AGES
Shark Patrol
Posts: 2316
Contact:

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#8 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 pm

Why is it leaning towards your favorite? Is the aesthetics the only reason? Please elaborate why you like it over the rest of the KOF titles on DC?
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

User avatar
RunNShoot
undertow
Posts: 25

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#9 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 pm

CD AGES wrote:Why is it leaning towards your favorite? Is the aesthetics the only reason? Please elaborate why you like it over the rest of the KOF titles on DC?


Me and my friends were just comparing them. The gameplay is faster on 2002, I like the slower pace on 2001. Also I like the Striker option of bringing another player in in 2K1, that could still be available in 2002 but I did not see it clearly. I also feel the graphics are more dense in 2k1 and brighter in 2k2 which I like the density. Biggest issue again is the speed. When the speed is that fast its aggravating to play abusers who chronic jump.

Just my preference tho! Also whats the diffence between Fatal Fury and KOF? Why did SNK make two if not three (Art of Fighting) seperate titles? Why is Rock not in KOF?

Sorry for all the questions lol
Image

User avatar
RunNShoot
undertow
Posts: 25

Re: King of Fighters Break Down

Post#10 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:32 am

RunNShoot wrote:
CD AGES wrote:Why is it leaning towards your favorite? Is the aesthetics the only reason? Please elaborate why you like it over the rest of the KOF titles on DC?


Me and my friends were just comparing them. The gameplay is faster on 2002, I like the slower pace on 2001. Also I like the Striker option of bringing another player in in 2K1, that could still be available in 2002 but I did not see it clearly. I also feel the graphics are more dense in 2k1 and brighter in 2k2 which I like the density. Biggest issue again is the speed. When the speed is that fast its aggravating to play abusers who chronic jump.

Just my preference tho! Also whats the diffence between Fatal Fury and KOF? Why did SNK make two if not three (Art of Fighting) seperate titles? Why is Rock not in KOF?

Sorry for all the questions lol


NVM, I did my research. KOF is SNKs characters all together in a tournament (well originally in 94).

Did you ever play Maximum Impact 1/2? Any good? Im bummed 3 got canceled...
Image

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users