Dreamcast 2

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Re: Dreamcast 2

Post#21 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:50 am

Kannibal wrote:shit!!! I'd say about $1,000.50 [guess] is we make one with the specs Impulse posted...

Why not just do small upgrades to the current DC but only upgrade what is necessary in order for it to compete with NOW!!!

-internal memory[anything over 100GB]
-BBA[should be a default]
-HD[1080i]
-Backwards compatability
-new DC controller shape for more buttons cause the buttons match up to the ones on a PSP...
+Rumble is default
+Has an internal memory['bout 1GB] to take created characters, control configuration, unlock data, etc.
+Built-in VMU w/ LCD[480i] and improved features.
-Upgraded hardware and software...
-Games take advantage of hardware

yeah yeah...the list is a bit big, but it's the quickest start!
im a little confused here Kannibal. 100GB for internal memory? do you mean 1GB and are you talking about ram? hell not even the latest operating systems can use that much. vista is topped out at 8GB of ram. i see you list 1GB for internal storage though, so im really confused lol. not that i think you really need more but maybe you have the two backwards?

i like the ideas you have about adding rumble and a visual display built into the controller. i also think a few more buttons and a 2nt analog stick would help but idk if 480i is needed on such a small display. if they wanted the controller to be a hand held gaming system then maybe. but this would make the cost of a controller reach the moon. id put it at about $150 minimum. the 1st DC controllers were not cheap to deck out either. think $30 or $40 just for the controller. $25 for a VMU and not sure what the rumble packs cost at the time. maybe another $20? so it was around $75-$85 but you had the option to not buy all of that for each one. if you wanted you could get by with 1 vmu and no rumble packs.

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#22 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:56 pm

coming up with a solid yet affordable hardware design might be tricky. it would need to be able to render hi def graphics and have the innovation that we expect from Sega with out breaking the bank.

here is what i would do.

CPU, any dual or quad core within reason
RAM, at least one gig DDR2
HDD, 10 gig, upgradable with standard PC hard drives.
Media, either cart or DVD based.
BBA, it would need a BBA built in.
Video, 2 mid grade graphics cards. this way it would be easy to have dual displays. this could also come in handy for vs play.

this is all i can come up with. i tried to stay away from choosing specific parts.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#23 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:55 pm

how bout games that come on usb sticks in stead of carts? they hardly cost anything compared to their capacity nowadays, they're still the fastest media & they don't break easily (eg when dropped)

this would also prolong the life of the console, since it wouldn't have any moving parts (exept a fan perhaps), ànd it would make all the difference in size, coz cd/dvd/br players are still big imo
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Kannibal
fragger

Post#24 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:42 pm

Gary_b wrote:
Kannibal wrote:shit!!! I'd say about $1,000.50 [guess] is we make one with the specs Impulse posted...

Why not just do small upgrades to the current DC but only upgrade what is necessary in order for it to compete with NOW!!!

-internal memory[anything over 100GB]
-BBA[should be a default]
-HD[1080i]
-Backwards compatability
-new DC controller shape for more buttons cause the buttons match up to the ones on a PSP...
+Rumble is default
+Has an internal memory['bout 1GB] to take created characters, control configuration, unlock data, etc.
+Built-in VMU w/ LCD[480i] and improved features.
-Upgraded hardware and software...
-Games take advantage of hardware

yeah yeah...the list is a bit big, but it's the quickest start!
im a little confused here Kannibal. 100GB for internal memory? do you mean 1GB and are you talking about ram? hell not even the latest operating systems can use that much. vista is topped out at 8GB of ram. i see you list 1GB for internal storage though, so im really confused lol. not that i think you really need more but maybe you have the two backwards?

i like the ideas you have about adding rumble and a visual display built into the controller. i also think a few more buttons and a 2nt analog stick would help but idk if 480i is needed on such a small display. if they wanted the controller to be a hand held gaming system then maybe. but this would make the cost of a controller reach the moon. id put it at about $150 minimum. the 1st DC controllers were not cheap to deck out either. think $30 or $40 just for the controller. $25 for a VMU and not sure what the rumble packs cost at the time. maybe another $20? so it was around $75-$85 but you had the option to not buy all of that for each one. if you wanted you could get by with 1 vmu and no rumble packs.

I meant the HDD memory...sorry!!! I was looking at the specs from my PC for refernce on how the parts are called 'cause I'm still new to knowing the names of PC parts!!! I've fixed my PC on my own without knowing anything before...so I will be confusing the parts!

mazonemayu wrote:how bout games that come on usb sticks in stead of carts? they hardly cost anything compared to their capacity nowadays, they're still the fastest media & they don't break easily (eg when dropped)

this would also prolong the life of the console, since it wouldn't have any moving parts (exept a fan perhaps), ànd it would make all the difference in size, coz cd/dvd/br players are still big imo

Why not have a service where you download small DC2 games and Classic DC games to a USB stick? that would be awesome!!! and if you wanna share them you gotta buy a share-key to share them a certain amount of times!!!
"Dog in man's best friend, Cat is man's adorable little serial killer."

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#25 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:50 pm

mazonemayu wrote:how bout games that come on usb sticks in stead of carts? they hardly cost anything compared to their capacity nowadays, they're still the fastest media & they don't break easily (eg when dropped)

seems like a form of cart, works for me.

Impulse
Admin

Post#26 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:30 am

Well my design may be a bit expensive if you were to buy the parts separately. But, I would figure Sega would get a great deal signing with these companies to buy mass amounts of parts. It may provide for a console with a $400 sale point. I would pay it. Thats the norm for next gen consoles.

And, yes my idea of a 200 gig hard drive is a lot but wait and see what the next 360 has. I think ti will be a huge amount for the standard console. The elite has 120 gig and they have 120 gig upgradeable drives for only $50 now I think. I'm sure they could get away with a 40-60 gig drive.

Mazonemayu, I really like your idea of using "jump drive" style media. But, there might be a data transfer rate issue when reading directly from he drive. But... thats where the hard drive somes in. You could jsut preload the game onto your hard drive or cache parts of it for fast load times. If solid state drives come down in price, that could be a great fast option. I think this is where we will see game media heading to. It's pretty innovative.

Gary_b, I like your build. It is a little more conservative than mine. As long as Sega could milk the hardware it could be great for next gen.

Wow, we are doing all the thinking for Sega. Thats right, throw us a check when you get this done Sega :lol:
-Impulse

Neoblast
Developer

Post#27 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:26 am

We can all dream but sega is in no financial position to start developing hardware just like in the old times, mainly because they dont even have the resources to do such a thing, and they are losing money even now.. sega toys is making sega sammy lose the little they earn from games.
Nice try you fool! lol BBQ!

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#28 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:21 am

Neoblast wrote:We can all dream but sega is in no financial position to start developing hardware just like in the old times, mainly because they dont even have the resources to do such a thing, and they are losing money even now.. sega toys is making sega sammy lose the little they earn from games.

we all know Sega can't make a next gen system. they would need coin for a new console! and even if they could come up with enough for the system. how much meseta would be left to support it?

Neoblast
Developer

Post#29 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:47 am

Zero....
They could make something with the dreamcast 1 though...
relaunch some games or something like that for 9/9/9
Nice try you fool! lol BBQ!

Kannibal
fragger

Post#30 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 am

Gary_b wrote:
Neoblast wrote:We can all dream but sega is in no financial position to start developing hardware just like in the old times, mainly because they dont even have the resources to do such a thing, and they are losing money even now.. sega toys is making sega sammy lose the little they earn from games.

we all know Sega can't make a next gen system. they would need coin for a new console! and even if they could come up with enough for the system. how much meseta would be left to support it?

We didn't think about this now did we? since SEGA has pretty much spread out on every console like a virus[a good one though], most people will overlook the console! this is what I think...

Neoblast wrote:Zero....
They could make something with the dreamcast 1 though...
relaunch some games or something like that for 9/9/9

What they could do is bundle their DC games into one disc or something like the Orange Box and then sell them!!! watch how much support there still is for the DC...
"Dog in man's best friend, Cat is man's adorable little serial killer."