The unreleased SEGA 'Saturn 2' and The Dreamcast Story

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
stu
Feet of Fury

Re: The unreleased SEGA 'Saturn 2' and The Dreamcast Story

Post#81 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 pm

MrSega wrote:

Oh what is it is to troll for once horse open sleigh.

Clumsyorchid seriously taught you how to be a complete bully and jackass didn't he Mulberry? He told you SEGA is a software company and that they fail at everything other than software. And that its your job to make anyone who believes otherwise to make their life a living hell.

And that you should troll and call anything Sega related completely false, when there's no way you can prove it is yourself and are oblivious to how licenses are filed and how R&D takes place. Just box in Sega and make them only capable of only one thing.

Yeah,Sharks fish for prey to troll for don't they.

Wow MrSega, that 1st line was ALMOST poetic, almost! :lol:

Um who's this Mulberry character then? Is this someone you encountered under one of your previous "online incarnations", MrSega? ;)

As for Clumsyorchid all I know is that someone of that name is admin at the Official Sega Forums, but since I've never had a membership there I can't say I know the person. :D

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#82 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:48 pm

MrSega wrote: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh what is it is to troll for once horse open sleigh.

Clumsyorchid seriously taught you how to be a complete bully and jackass didn't he Mulberry? He told you SEGA is a software company and that they fail at everything other than software. And that its your job to make anyone who believes otherwise to make their life a living hell.

And that you should troll and call anything Sega related completely false, when there's no way you can prove it is yourself and are oblivious to how licenses are filed and how R&D takes place. Just box in Sega and make them only capable of only one thing.

Yeah,Sharks fish for prey to troll for don't they.

Are you seriously demented or something? What are you talking about?

You seem to have constructed some fantasy world that people are pursuing you across the internet, and you should remove it from these forums. It has no business here. No one has problems with other members like you do. You just cause trouble.

Logic
core

Post#83 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 am

MrSega wrote:The tech, and overall appeal of mainstream consumers is repelling them from the system and only Nintendo core base people seem interested in it.

You're making it sound like this is a bad thing.
The "Nintendo Core base people" have done thus far:

Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, and Toys are Us are all out of preorder stock for the Wii U.
Hell, Even in the UK where the Wii U is delayed an extra month, the retailers are citing possible supply shortages.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=1

If the Nintendo Core based people are putting up this much, I can see why Nintendo remains apathethic to most other groups. Granted, I'm sure that there are those who are preordering in bundles to sell for extra amounts of cash to those willing to pay for such among these buyers.

I'm Just saying....
Freedoms:
1,2,3,4. The whole can benefit

HerzogZwei1989
undertow

Post#84 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:14 pm

While we're on the subject of Wii U, I'd like to point out something that's interesting. Well, at least to me anyway.

We all know Wii U is using an AMD Rx7xx GPU with shader model 4.1 support, right? Well if we look at the history of AMD/ATI, we also must know that they have Lockheed Martin Real3D intellectual property. Wii U therefore, will be (or may be) the first Nintendo console to have the DNA of Real3D.

Real3D, Inc. was a maker of arcade graphics boards, a spin-off from Lockheed Martin. The company made several 3D hardware designs that were used by Sega, the most widely used being the graphics hardware in the Sega Model 2 and Model 3 arcade systems. A partnership with Intel and SGI led to the Intel740 graphics card, which was not successful in the market. Rapid changes in the marketplace led to the company being sold to Intel in 1999.

History

The majority of Real3D was formed by research and engineering divisions originally part of GE Aerospace. Their experience traces its way back to the Project Apollo Visual Docking Simulator, the first full-color 3D computer generated image system.[1] GE sold similar systems of increasing complexity through the 1970s, but were never as large as other companies in the simulator space, like Singer Corporation or CAE.

When "neutron" Jack Welch took over General Electric in 1981 he demanded that every division in the company be 1st or 2nd in its industry, or face being sold off. GE Aerospace lasted longer than many other divisions, but was eventually sold off to Martin Marietta in 1992.[2] In 1995, Martin Marietta and Lockheed merged to form Lockheed Martin Corporation, the world’s largest defense contractor.

Following the merger, Lockheed Martin decided to market their graphics technology for civilian use. In January 1995 they set up Real3D and formed a relationship with Sega. This led to the company's most successful product run, designing the 3D hardware using in over 200,000 Sega Model2 and Model3 arcade systems,[3] two of the most popular systems in history.

The company also formed a partnership with Intel and Chips and Technologies to introduce similar technology as an add-in card for PC's, a project known as "Auburn". This project became a showcase for the Accelerated Graphics Port system being introduced by Intel, which led to several design decisions that hampered the resulting products. Released in 1998 as the Intel740, the system lasted less than a year in the market before being sold off under the StarFighter and Lightspeed brandnames.

By 1999 both relationships were ending, and Lockheed Martin was focussing on its military assets. On 1 October 1999 the company closed, and its assets were sold to Intel on the 14th.[4] ATI hired many of the remaining employees for a new Orlando office. 3dfx Interactive had sued Real3D on a patent basis, and Intel's purchased moved the lawsuits to the new owner. Intel settled the issue by selling all of the intellectual property back to 3dFX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real3D

As we also know, the original Wii used the same graphics (and CPU) technology as the Gamecube, so Wii never got to benefit from former Real3D tech. Perhaps Wii U does.

HerzogZwei1989
undertow

Post#85 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I'm sorry if my post above was confusing to some.

All I am trying to say is that, from everything I understand, the Wii U will contain former Real3D intellectual property. That's because ATI has former Real3D engineers, patents and they took over Real3D's Orlando, Florida office over a decade ago.

AMD of course, bought ATI in 2006.

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#86 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Just because there's former employees working there doesn't mean it'll contain Real3D IP. All of that stuff is probably entirely irrelevant by now with how much technology has advanced since Real3D was even a thing. They may apply things they learned while working for that company, but it won't mean it actually contains anything from Real3D.

HerzogZwei1989
undertow

Post#87 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:06 pm

You're actually quite right. I'm not suggesting Wii U will contain a Real3D GPU. Just some of their DNA. Whatever was left of them *long* since got absorbed into ATI and now AMD. There is no part of Real3D that is recognizable anymore.

MrSega

Post#88 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:39 pm

Logic wrote:
MrSega wrote:The tech, and overall appeal of mainstream consumers is repelling them from the system and only Nintendo core base people seem interested in it.

Gamestop, Walmart, Best Buy, Sears, and Toys are Us are all out of preorder stock for the Wii U.
Hell, Even in the UK where the Wii U is delayed an extra month, the retailers are citing possible supply shortages.

If the Nintendo Core based people are putting up this much, I can see why Nintendo remains apathethic to most other groups. Granted, I'm sure that there are those who are preordering in bundles to sell for extra amounts of cash to those willing to pay for such among these buyers.

I'm Just saying....

As for Neo Gaf, they're nothing but GameTrailers on steroids, pure Nintendo fanboys of the worst kind.

I would say that latter is more true. I suspect pre-orders numbers are around 250,000-300,000. Not impresssive at all. Those would definately be core based numbers.

MrSega

Post#89 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Logic wrote:

I'm Just saying....

I would say the latter.

HerzogZwei1989
undertow

Post#90 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:11 am

I think it's rather interesting how the WiiU specs are such a closely guarded secret.
Nintendo's ninja's must be everywhere, LOL.