Best soccer (football) game?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: What is the best DC Soccer game?

UEFA Dream Soccer
26%
Virtua Striker 2
53%
Sega Worldwide 2000 Euro Edition
5%
J League Spectacle Soccer
No votes
90 Minutes
No votes
Other
16%
Total votes: 19

rooster
photon blast

Post#1 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:46 pm

I want to get a soccer game for the DC, but I only want the best one. With other sports genres it's much easier to figure out (NHK 2k2, NBA 2k2, WSB 2k2, NFL 2k2). But of course, soccer was the DC's weak point. I've heard that several of the later releases were just 'okay'. Which was *the most* 'okay'? :mrgreen:

Also, sorry if this topic has come up before, a quick search didn't find it however.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#2 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 pm

Well the most famous soccer game on DC is Virtua Striker. It was a huge hit in the arcades, especially in Japan, before finding a home on the Dreamcast. Some people like it (see BrianC's write up in the review section) and some people don't. You'd have to try it out for yourself. Then there is World Wide Soccer, the sequel to a decent Saturn game which didn't really do enough to be a system seller. The other big Sega release (by Smilebit ) was 90 Minutes, a game that was greeted with utter disdain by most footy fans on release and I can't really recommend it.

Uefa Striker sold quite well early on in the DC's life and it's......OK. There are one or two others that, tbh, aren't worth mentioning. I own and have played every soccer game on Dreamcast, and the truth is, there is no equivalent to Winning Eleven/Pro Evolution or 'FIFA' on the system. If there had been a great soccer game on Dreamcast then maybe it would have been more successful ?

Cutting to the chase, I'd say Euro Edition and Dream Soccer are the best of an average bunch. I certainly enjoyed playing those on release but whether or not they still stand up twelve years later I wouldn't like to say.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Best soccer (football) game?

Post#3 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:43 am

Neo hit it right on the head. I personally love Virtua Striker 2 because its a simplistic, unrealistic arcade game. Not being a big soccer fan makes me avoid sims or complicated soccer games. From what I've gathered the other games Neo mentioned were attempts at sims that fell flat so it really depends on what you want and how many sacrifices you're willing to make to play soccer on the DC :D

Comrade Snarky
Vagabond

Post#4 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:46 am

I had been curious about myself. I was hoping there was a decent sim style one so I could get somewhat decent at playing soccer games since my friend play FIFA a lot.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:58 pm

I found the most 'hardcore' and, in some ways, ambitious footy game on Dreamcast to be European Super League. But I can't recommend it unless you are totally soccer crazy and demand to have every game on the system. It's just too difficult and has a huge learning curve - it would end up putting beginners off the genre completely.

I still think you should go for either UEFA Dream Soccer or SWS Euro Edition. Both games are easy to play, have nice graphics and are fun.

And if you are desperate for that authentic 'Sega arcade' portrayal of the beautiful game, Virtua Striker should be on your shopping list........despite it's flaws.

Sophie fox
noob

Post#6 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:20 am

:D :D :D :D I chose J League Spectacle Soccer . It' so great . At least, I think so . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:23 am

So why didn't you tick the box ? - it's still showing 0% ! :?

Oh, and by the way, the game is the japanese version of 90 minutes. Of course, some different teams but it is, essentially, the same game ;)

Anyway, glad you like it. And welcome to Dreamcast-Talk :)

rooster
photon blast

Post#8 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:57 pm

I've been trying out Virtua Striker 2, and it is pretty damn fun. I don't understand the lukewarm reception it seemed to get on release. I think this arcade style of sports games is more fun than simulation types. That's why I gotta try NFL Blitz next!

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post#9 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Yeah, you've got to try Blitz - if arcade sports games are your thang, you'll love it ! Also try out Midway's NBA Showtime and, although I'm yet to try it, NBA Hoopz(which I think is the sequel?). Both those games give the 'Blitz' treatment to basketball.

Sketcz
dark night

Post#10 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:49 am

TIME TO GET BUMP!

I googled best soccer game on DC and found this topic. Virtua Striker 2 sounds like my jam. Simple arcade fun like Super Soccer on the SNES was.

Thing is, what about other sports?

Is there a topic, or can anyone recommend just one game for the following sports? Sure, I could dl them to my USB-GD, and try them all, but I'm not that into sports. (I did however get every single fishing game!)

So, what's good for the following:

Baseball
Basketball
American Football
Snowboarding
Tennis
Wrestling
Ice Hockey

I wish the DC had a game like Decathlete / Athlete Kings. It does sort of have one, Virtua Athlete, but it's not as silly or as fun. I like my sports lighthearted and ridiculous.