Sonic Shuffle - anyone besides me like it?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

This game got trashed in the reviews when it came out. I actually bought it brand new for $49.99 back in the day because I wanted a mario party game and I didn't own any nintendo consoles.

The computer was cheap, and the 1 player mode wasn't very fun... but once you unlocked the mini game mode in the sonic room (in my case, by downloading a save lol), the game was a total blast for multiplayer. My friends and I would just play nonstop minigames for an hour or two at a time before moving on to another game.

The arbitrary and mean nature of some of the games (sonic cola and sonic cooking come to mind) was actually a draw to us. We were laughing at the game and thinking it was stupid because of its arbitrary and ridiculous nature, but we enjoyed this and it aided our entertainment value nonetheless ;) The graphics were pretty nice, and some of the music was pretty cool. All in all, it certainly wasn't the worst game on DC, and it had a substantial amount of content in it between the mini games, the different boards to play on, the mini events, and the one player story mode with cutscenes (I actually beat the story mode, and it didn't unlock anything).

Just wondering if anyone else ever played it with friends and enjoyed it. It's certainly not talked about much among people who obsess over all sonic games. Too bad it wasn't an online multiplayer title, like it was initially advertised by sega before release.
Last edited by dark on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Sonic Shuffle - anyone besides me like it?

Post by dark »

In case anyone is unfamiliar. Here is sonic cola:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1-_RG1izrU

And here is a compilation of other mini games, including sonic cooking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkr8GpLaOcM

Good times.

Alec1382
Vagabond
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 Arena, Phantasy Star Online V2

Post by Alec1382 »

I'm generally very tolerant of my games when they have flaws- and I hated Sonic Shuffle. The CPU just plain cheats. I swear, they must have coded the AI to almost always pick the card that perfectly suits them, probably to about an 80% success ratio.

Not only that, but the mini games had no practice option, which served to be a problem since they're very confusing. These two combined meant I couldn't even beat the first map on normal difficulty. I tried twice and spent about 2 hours on each game. Too frustrating.
Last edited by Alec1382 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Macabre
Feet of Fury
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, little quake, doom is cute.

Post by Macabre »

I'm also pretty loose when it comes to sega games, but this specific game...

There is just something wrong with having had 4x copies that looked mint and still the game either refused to boot, glitched up, or broke down mid animation.

The atmosphere of the game, once I got a copy that I could actually play, felt rather dry and half-attempted.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

dark
Shark Patrol

Post by dark »

It sounds to me like you guys need that save game file with the mini game practice mode unlocked - after I got that, I barely ever played normal board game mode and the game became a lot more enjoyable. The computer AI is undeniably cheap (but not unbeatable... I did beat story mode after spending hours on it [not worth it]). I thought the graphics/production values were pretty good for DC games, though.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

I liked the graphical style.........and that's about it.

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post by BrianC »

I think the game has some very cool ideas that set it apart from Mario Party. I was really hoping to like the game since my girlfriend loves the Mario Party series but the loading times were just far too much. If I didn't have to stare at the fucking "now loading" screen for twice as much as I played it would probably be a great game.