Capcom vs. Snk (1 and 2)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Capcom vs. Snk (1 and 2)

Post#1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:13 am

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone has tried either of these games and if so what you all think about it. See, I'm a HUGE fan of KOF DM 99 but I can't convince any of my friends to give it a try. Some of them like Street Fighter but I personally hate the SF series and always assumed fighting games suck from all the hype surrounding them. What I'm wishing for is a game that allows perfect gameplay for all characters involved, i.e. KOF characters play like a KOF character and vice versa. I know this is kind of impossible due to balance but if it at least gets somewhere close I'd love to pick it up to get some fighting gaming in with my friends (and fucking destroy them of course). I've always assumed Capcom just said "fuck it, SF is superior so we'll just use the characters from KOF and make them suck balls to prove a point" :D

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Capcom vs. Snk (1 and 2)

Post#2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:16 am

thats easy, just tell em SF & KOF are made by the same guy (its a trick answer but you aren't lying either ;))
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:30 am

I've tried them both. If your friends are only into Street Fighter and not SNK games, then either would be a valid game to get to satisfy all involved.

CVSNK2 obviously has more characters, but not a huge amount more. The new characters don't come so much from the popular franchises such as SF and KOF, but instead from some of the alternate fighting franchises of both company: you have a Samurai Shodown addition, a Last Blade addition, a Rival Schools addition, a Garou MOTW addition, etc. It's nice having these extra characters, but CVSNK1 has it's own charm as well.

CVS2 has 3d backgrounds, but the 2d backgrounds in CVS1 are really nice and fit the character art pretty well. Additionally each game has "grooves" for you to choose, the grooves were created to simulate the gameplay mechanics of popular games. For example, one of the grooves might be similar to KOF and allow you to do running, rolling, and short jumps, while a different groove might simulate the SF series with no running, no short jumps, and no rolling.

Since characters are coming in from different series with all different kinds of gameplay mechanics, things aren't perfect. The game won't play exactly like KOF... but the SNK characters aren't gimped too bad. Most of the super moves still work, and you can use most of the same gameplay strategies, it just will take some warmup rounds to get accustomed to the gameplay and find the best "groove" to approximate what you want the game to play like. CVS1 has only 2 groove to choose from I think, while CVS2 has 6 grooves to choose from.

Obviously CVS1 is the only one that came out via retail in the US, but an import copy of CVS2 is pretty cheap these days - you should be able to get one online for $15 or slightly under.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 am

By the way, I love the KOF series, but I think KOFDM99 is one of the worst iterations of the series on the DC. The gameplay seems sluggish, the sprites are vintage (many got redrawn by KOF 2000), and the music stops between rounds (ruins the energy for me). I heartily recommend KOF 2000, the arranged music is awesome. KOF 2002 also has many of the popular characters from 98 (or DM99) returning, including the Yashiro, Shermie, Chris team which now has completely redrawn sprites which look great, in addition to some new moves.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:44 am

It seems that if you hate SF and perfer KOF series but your friends feel the reverse, i'd recommend CvS1. While it's still a SF game at its core, it makes a better effort to please both fans than the series (at least more than CVS2). The 4 button layout and the more SNK like presentation really add to CVS1 trying to appease both sides of the yard. With CVS2 it's quite the opposite in this respect. I personally have love CVS1 over the sequel but both are great titles in their own right. I have some gameplay footage of the former on my page if you have an interest in seeing how matches properly unfold.

http://youtu.be/bQUZtAxMrYs

Dark: Really!? $15 bucks for CVS2 on DC...?
Last edited by CD AGES on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:50 am

By the way, I love the KOF series, but I think KOFDM99 is one of the worst iterations of the series on the DC. The gameplay seems sluggish, the sprites are vintage (many got redrawn by KOF 2000), and the music stops between rounds (ruins the energy for me). I heartily recommend KOF 2000, the arranged music is awesome. KOF 2002 also has many of the popular characters from 98 (or DM99) returning, including the Yashiro, Shermie, Chris team which now has completely redrawn sprites which look great, in addition to some new moves.

KOF98 (in DC KOFDM99) is a great installment in the series, but yes! The DC port was terribly handled! Redrawn in 2000? :shock: If you mean by just Benimaru then that statement is true :lol: Many character sprites got redrawn in 2002 (a game which i feel is one the best in the franchise and easily the best to found on the DC)

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:16 am

Dark: Really!? $15 bucks for CVS2 on DC...?

Yeah I got my copy for 12$ plus shipping. I even see a buy it now on ebay right now, for $18 which isn't so bad.

Redrawn in 2000?

I guess I didn't mean like entire new costumes with a fully redrawn spriteset ;) There were some subtle new sprites added in to increase animation. I'm not sure Iori's face was redrawn yet from it's KOF95 sprite... but that was much needed when it finally came lol

As for KOF 2000, I though Kyo, Robert, King, Ralk, Clark, Mai, Chin, Athena had noticeable new sprites since KOF98. I think Terry, and maybe Andy and Joe had some new subtle sprites put in too along with a bunch of others.

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:35 am

I guess I didn't mean like entire new costumes with a fully redrawn spriteset There were some subtle new sprites added in to increase animation. I'm not sure Iori's face was redrawn yet from it's KOF95 sprite... but that was much needed when it finally came lol

LOL! I know what you meant. But the the Iori head sprite did not change in 2000! it was actually in 2001 (i know this for a fact as many things like that surprised me considering the game went to the guys at Eolith to make the series after SNK's short demise)

As for KOF 2000, I though Kyo, Robert, King, Ralk, Clark, Mai, Chin, Athena had noticeable new sprites since KOF98. I think Terry, and maybe Andy and Joe had some new subtle sprites put in too along with a bunch of others.

Alot of these examples you mentioned aren't to KOF 2000's credit. All these examples mentioned were done in the real KOF 1999 (KOF EVO on DC) and got carried over to 2000 except for King's sprite (she just received an outer jacket). LOL! Athena doesn't count as she receives a makeover with every installment (sans Dream Matches) :lol:

CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Post#9 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:50 am

But to KOF's credit though, it has some of the most beautiful character illustration ever done in a KOF game running MVS hardware. A great opening attract sequence and yes one of the coolest soundtracks ever (although this is the only KOF game where both the original and arranged tracks are so good that i can't decide which is better! Korea Arrange has such an inspirational rock tune but on the hand Ikari, Zero boss and character select Original tracks are amazing too!)

BrianC
Dreamcast Swirl

Post#10 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for all the responses! I personally can't get enough of Dream Match '99 but its the only one I've played :shock: . I heard the later ones suck but being a DC fan I'm going to start finding them so I can figure it out for myself :D