Most Beautiful Games On Dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
CD AGES
Shark Patrol

Re: Most Beautiful Games On Dreamcast

Post#101 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:32 am

I know i've answered this thread before, but for me the most impressive looking, visually impressive Dreamcast games, in no particular order...

Soul Calibur
Virtual On: Oratario Tangram
Under Defeat
Guilty Gear X
Tokyo Extreme Racer
Outtrigger
Zero Gunner 2
Shenmue
Jet Set Radio
Test Drive LeMans
Napple Tale
Dead or Alive 2
It's STILL Thinking Dreamcast Channel

The ReviveDC Project blog; reviews for our releases and news

OG_DreamcastGuy
noob

Post#102 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi folks, newbie here (I’ll post my Dreamcast/SEGA history in the other thread about your first experience with Dreamcast).

For me, 20 years on, and I still can’t believe it’s been that long, it’s headline games still look sensational and hold up very, very well.

In no particular order:

Soul Calibur
Shenmue
Jet Set Radio
MSR
Crazy Taxi (I still think it looks and runs sensational)
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (2 more so)
Power Stone (the sequel felt too ... busy, for me)
Dead or Alive 2
Daytona USA 2001
The House of the Dead 2

And while many of these games have been ported to other consoles down the years, none of them carried over the “soul” of the Dreamcast with them. I have Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Shenmue, and Jet Set Radio on Xbox One but they just don’t “feel” right (Crazy Taxi especially without the sound track of licensed locations).

I’m 40, have been gaming since the Spectrum 128k and was 19 when I imported my first Dreamcast from Japan. No console before, although the Saturn comes close, or since has captured my imagination like the Dreamcast. It holds a special place in my heart and I’m delighted that I have recently been reunited with the system after 12 years without, having sold my entire Japanese/PAL Saturn and Dreamcast collections in 2007 when I bought my first home with my then girlfriend/now wife.

Thanks for reading!

Dostuff
dark night

Post#103 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:56 pm

Any chance getting DOA2 Japan version back online?

Nolbin
noob

Post#104 » Sun May 29, 2022 12:31 am

Ikaruga and Dolphin Blue for me. They really take advantage of the Dreamcast's crisp VGA output.

krovellium
fire

Post#105 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:39 pm

PSOv2 looks really nice, but to be fair I don't play very many DC games so that's probably wrong.

MondoGecko
minority

Post#106 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:55 pm

I'd add Grandia 2. The mixture of simultaneous anime FMV and 3D elements blew my mind when I was a kid, and it still looks great. Such a charming style.

Rash
noob

Post#107 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:39 am

Dead Or Alive 2. While Soul Calibur looks amazing, Dead or alive 2 really was great with the impressive physics, graphics, shadows, and lighting.

NeoSnk
Outtrigger

Post#108 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:21 am

For me Le Mans 24 hours played in a VGA still looks good to this day. It's amazing how beautiful this game is. Is it true that this game has achieved 5M polygons?
For tutorials and homebrews access Titan Game Studios: https://titangamestudioscom.wordpress.com/
For interviews and gameplay support me on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/@NaiAdventure/featured

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#109 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:09 pm

It looks good until you see the cardboard cutout fans lol wish they just didn't include those :lol:

panzer86
rebel

Post#110 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:18 pm

Shenmue
Soul Calibur
Dead or Alive 2