Rechargeable VMU Batteries!

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Re: Rechargeable VMU Batteries!

Post#21 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 pm

When is this available?
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#22 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:05 am

I actually haven't changed the batteries in my VMUs in like ten years. What's the average battery life in them if the vmu just lives in the controller?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Anonymouse
Outtrigger

Post#23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm

If the VMU has working batteries in the controller, the Dreamcast for some reason defaults to using battery power instead of DC power when playing a game. The greatly reduces the life of the batteries. If you hear a beeeeeeeeep when you switch on the console, the batteries are dead.
Dreamcast: Blue Swirl, 60hz, White LED, Removable battery holder, Internal SD card reader, BBA, DreamPi, RGB Scart

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#24 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 am

Yea I knew the beep meant they were dead, though I didn't know the Dreamcast would default to battery power once u had good batteries in again, what a terrible design choice.

I actually saw some batteries on sale the other day and picked up a pile, changed out all my VMUs. Curious to see how long they last.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mstar
Doom

Post#25 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:26 am

A month or little more, in my experience...

I can't justify putting new batteries in them every 6 weeks or so, hence my VMUs are all beeping *shrug*