Console vs. Emulator

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Console vs. Emulator

Post by pcwzrd13 »

I just wanted to see what people thought about this. I've never liked playing games on emulators. For me, it always seems to take a lot of the fun out of a game. There's just something about playing the games on the original system they were intended to be played on. It could possibly be that playing games on emulators takes away the nostalgia factor. Whenever you play the Dreamcast, it's like you're transported back to 1999... So am I the only one or do you feel the same way?

Do you think this kid would be just as excited for an emulator?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU[/youtube]
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

daniel116
core

Re: Console vs. Emulator

Post by daniel116 »

I'll never play a game on an emulator, it's just not the same experience.
Maybe like an old snes game or something, but no way will I ever play a ps1\dc\etc. game on an emulator

Macabre
Feet of Fury
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, little quake, doom is cute.

Post by Macabre »

I've always had problems with emulation. Such a huge % of marketed and released emulation systems are not close enough to their original content, typically in the music and audio output, which just kills it for me.

Unless its a first party release, it won't be perfect emulation. Hell, even first party releases are not always good, like sonic jam on the saturn - still has some lag issues in sonic 2.
PSO Dreamcast BBA ftw @ Dreamcast-Talk.com
~ Macabre! Redria HUcast
~ Lust Purplenum RAcaseal
~Sega Trade List!~
vid's coming soon~

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Macabre wrote:I've always had problems with emulation. Such a huge % of marketed and released emulation systems are not close enough to their original content, typically in the music and audio output, which just kills it for me.

Unless its a first party release, it won't be perfect emulation. Hell, even first party releases are not always good, like sonic jam on the saturn - still has some lag issues in sonic 2.
Yeah, it's not really technical reasons why I don't like emulators, although it is a contributing factor. It's just that it doesn't feel the same as playing on the original console. You could say the "fun factor" is decreased.
PSO Characters:

TeamXlink
Rank 9

Post by TeamXlink »

In general, I like to play on the original console instead of emulating, I still take out my Nintendo once every three months or so for my mom to beat me at Super Mario Bros.

That being said, some times emulation is more convenient, for example when I had a PSP it was really nice to be able to play Super Mario Bros on the go.

I think this excerpt explains it well.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/01/ ... acker.html
Racket wrote:You mentioned on your site about your emulation comments on a G4 appearance — I didn’t get a chance to see it — could you fill us in?
BenHeck wrote:Oh boy. It was a live show but we did a rehearsal. That’s always a fear of mine because I tend to swear a lot in RL (real life – the geekiest acronym on Earth) and always worry I’ll slip on TV and pull a Janet Jackson. Anyways, during rehearsal the guy asked “Why not just emulate?” And I thought “These guys seem pretty loose…” So I said what I’ve always THOUGHT about emulation and never said in public. “Emulation is like masturbation!” Everyone was like “oh shit, did he just say that?” and then they were like “You HAVE to say that for the actual thing!” I was like “Is that OK?” and they’re like Sure! So we “baited” (ha ha) it in the live show so I’d get to say it again. I knew when I got back home it’d be the new catch phrase for my boards – oh well

Its never as good as the real thing.

Neohound
Gold Lion

Post by Neohound »

I'm a bit inconsistent in my thinking here ! I like playing MAME and Genesis/Megadrive games on my DC but consider it sacrilegious to play DC games on anything but the Dreamcast :lol:

My two neices were playing Samba on the Wii recently. I gave them a lecture and forced them to shake their booty on the original when they next paid me a visit. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind :twisted:

Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

Well the Saturn and ps1 and n64 are fully emulated. Nes games and even snes games are usually 99% accurate. I use emulation if I don't have the money to buy the console or the game at the time.
PS2 Online Gaming

daniel116
core

Post by daniel116 »

If I don't have the money I just won't play the game, it's not that I'm against pirating old games because I don't think it's immoral (the game companies aren't losing money when I download a 10 year old game) it's just that I don't enjoy playing console games on a computer

Favrenation
Outrun
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, Quake 3 Arena, 4x4 Evo, Maximum Pool

Post by Favrenation »

Well i use my ps3 controller to play the games. Atleast the ps1 games that is.
PS2 Online Gaming

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Neohound wrote:I'm a bit inconsistent in my thinking here ! I like playing MAME and Genesis/Megadrive games on my DC but consider it sacrilegious to play DC games on anything but the Dreamcast :lol:

My two neices were playing Samba on the Wii recently. I gave them a lecture and forced them to shake their booty on the original when they next paid me a visit. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind :twisted:
I have Samba de Amigo on the Wii and I don't find the controls very responsive. I can't compare it to the DC version though since I don't own it. Maybe eventually but it's a bit pricey with the maracas.
PSO Characters: