Good Wrestling game?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Maztr_0n
fire

Good Wrestling game?

Post#1 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:37 pm

Bit of backround, my dad loved playing wrestling games on the PSX and probably the XBOX (the 2000's is when he actually got into gaming)

and there are the handful of DC wrestling games. In fact when he came over and saw my system for the first time he was talking about Wrestling games, specifically the one we played on PS1. So which one is best for when my dad comes over? Thinking ECW Total Anarchy would probably be the best bet because you can make thanos with a 6 year old's voice box in it But i thought i should ask the DC forums as to what kind of game would work best for wrestling fans and people like me who just want a good game for wrestling fans when they come over.
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||

dave_van_damn
Graffiti Grind

Re: Good Wrestling game?

Post#2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:25 pm

From memory, the single player mode in ECW Anarchy Rulz is completely broken. The CPU is very tough to defeat and it's very glitchy. The PS1 version is more balanced.

Giant Gram (JPN exclusive) is a great wrestling game but only has a handful of western wrestlers. Alternatively WWF Royal Rumble is good fun but a bit basic.
aka DavidHK on DC games.

Maztr_0n
fire

Post#3 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 pm

dave_van_damn wrote:From memory, the single player mode in ECW Anarchy Rulz is completely broken. The CPU is very tough to defeat and it's very glitchy. The PS1 version is more balanced.

Giant Gram (JPN exclusive) is a great wrestling game but only has a handful of western wrestlers. Alternatively WWF Royal Rumble is good fun but a bit basic.

ah jeez, that sucks. But i might look into WWF Royal Rumble. Thanks!

runkthepunk
Doom

Post#4 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:58 am

It might be worth having a look at the Fire Pro D english translation too if you can burn games or have a gdemu although its quite a different game compared to the 3d wrestling games previously mentioned

Here's a video (nothing to do with me) that shows what its all about

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5jPlxVHQE

BowserIsMyFather
noob

Post#5 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:20 pm

Second shout out for Fire Pro Wrestling D. The Fire Pro games are some of the most solid grapplers out there, with a metric ton of options over their 3D counterparts.

Born2beSlicker
noob

Post#6 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:09 pm

Wrestling games weren't strong on the Dreamcast. WWF Attitude and ECW Hardcore Revolution are the same game but skinned to each company, neither play very well though. The graphics are poor, the gameplay is fighting game inspired rather than wrestling inspired and it just hasn't aged well. Anarchy Rules is the sequel for ECW and it's more of an expansion pack that keeps the rubbish gameplay and graphics but an updated roster.

WWF Royal Rumble is more of an arcade game with barely any modes and unrealistic wrestling gameplay. The RR mode is kind of fun because of the fact that there are 6 men in the ring but there isn't even enough roster to fill the match so you get repeating characters, which is just silly. It looks alright though, to be fair.

Fire Pro D is sort of based on Japanese wrestling with a lot of knock-off wrestlers but you know who they are if you know wrestling. It's a lot more genuine wrestling-based gameplay but it will require the English patch to navigate it. It's 2D though so it will look more dated and the slower pace is a like it or leave it situation.

All Japan Pro Wrestling is officially licensed unlike Fire Pro and it's 3D too, so it looks pretty good. It's probably the closest you'll get to the N64 wrestling games in terms of gameplay style but it isn't quite as well made as No Mercy/WCW Revenge. It's also in Japanese so navigating it can be difficult as I'm not sure if there's an English patch.

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#7 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:46 pm

I really wished Royal Rumble added the Divas. Oh man why wasn't Chyna not included in at least. I played Smackdown 2 way more at the time because of having the Divas included. I did play SD again recently just realizing how did I cope with all these loading screens! Just so annoyed with WWF Royal Rumble having such a promise having up to Nine Wrestlers In The Ring real time! Bit more excitement with this game.

Even if was a Arcade Game to begin with a bigger roaster was so desperately needed here. I don't know like say 30! Couldn't had any trouble getting all the Superstars in at the time with Smackdown & N64 games already having them all in. I wish this could be modded up truly wish could add more wrestlers besides two broken unused ones Christian & Val in the files.

Maztr_0n
fire

Post#8 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:49 pm

what i'm hearing truly is a shame, i kinda wish "WWF SmackDown! Just Bring It" came out just for the Fred Durst cameo alone, it was a 2001 ps2 game after all.

I'm hoping the better games (obviously kknowing about royale rumble) have some American Rosters, cuz i dont care personally but i think my dad would be asking about it, but thats not part of the question he'll have to deal and figure out why if i pulled out Anarchy Rulz. Very Nice

Dirge Of Ram
Graffiti Grind

Post#9 » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:47 am

Maztr_0n
fire

Post#10 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:32 pm

hot damn, guess for american wrestling i might just burn WWF Royale Rumble and ECW Anarchy onto a disc gah!

Thanks for the reccomendations and such!