My journey to build my dream console

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

My journey to build my dream console

Post by Anthony817 »

Hey all, long time no see! Lots happened in my life over past 6 months but I hope to stick around more now that I can afford to customize my overclocked console with the console and controller shells I always dreamed of.

First thing I bought were these.

Then I got a damaged R7 controller for parts to combine all the black parts with my modded skeleton smoke grey controller to match the overall theme. R7 controller in that condition was only $50 compared to Sega Sports which cost over $80 which I cant justify that price even if a better match.

Only using my custom PS4 thumbstick and face plate from this, internals from R7 and back plate and VMU window cover will get added to smoke grey shell.

I messaged this dude who produces molded controller replacement parts to see if he can do the D-pad and Start buttons in black like his others here, but we will see.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/RoarkesRetroC ... ng_details

There are a few more tiny details to fix like Sega and Windows CE decals I want to add to make it look more official, so if people can help me find some to complete the look I'd be much obliged.

Full pics will follow of this build when all parts come in.

Planning to do my Brook Wingman SD on the side of console like this person did for now until new Bluetooth controller port replacement is ready from Laserbear.

What a time to be alive amirite? :D
Last edited by Anthony817 on Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deluxux
Black Mesa

Re: My journey to build my dream console

Post by deluxux »

So glad to see you alive dude!!! hit me up on discord sometimes! Hopefully you get that dreampi working too!!!

DR TEAMCAST
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All

Post by DR TEAMCAST »

the sega and windows logos are painted on so you'd have to get a sticker or decal anyway

i say for the windows ce logo on the right, go for a custom badge that looks like a PC chassis badge like this but with a darker background obviously
badge.png
badge.png (202.31 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
then for the sega logo, i'd go for a transparent decal with the badass 1998 sonic team logo
sonic.png
sonic.png (32.73 KiB) Viewed 1810 times
that's just me though, looking forward to the end result
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

IcemaX
shadow

Post by IcemaX »

That's a sick looking controller you have. :) I'm still planning on replacing thumbstick on my half broken controller.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Thanks! I modded it with a $1 set of replacement joysticks from ebay and PS4 sticks are almost direct drop in replacement. One must only shave off about 2mm from the plastic peg the stick slides onto to get it to function smoothly.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

Wow look what someone did similarly with divers millennium and Sports controller combining them.

OatBob
MegaDeath

Post by OatBob »

Care to spill on the internals? I assume some form of "Ultimate Dreamcast" setup with GDEMU and HDMI output to start.
shinjitsunayu.me/ - web content for DC.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post by Anthony817 »

This system was traded to me by a good friend who wanted a stock system because he didn't use all features of it. It was a VA1 system with GDEMU, bios mod, coin cell battery and resettable controller port fuse and most importantly a 20% overclock via switch at 240mhz. . No HDMI mod to it as it was done before that mod existed and too complex for me to do. I don't want to ship it of for somebody else to mess with as it has really thin wires. But the overclock mode makes Soldier of Fortune and other games have zero slowdown.

I also just scored this Official licensed Retro-Bit Saturn 2.4ghz wireless smoke grey controller to go along with it for fighters and emulators and arcade games like Shmups.

lerabot
blackout!
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Starlancer

Post by lerabot »

Looking good, can't wait to see the final build :)
Indie Game Studio

FlorreW
Animated Violence
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake 3 sometimes

Post by FlorreW »

That case was siiiick !!