Decided to pull the trigger and bought a pair of VM2s...

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SolidSonicTH
dark night
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Phantasy Star Online (maybe?)
Alien Front Online (hopefully)

Decided to pull the trigger and bought a pair of VM2s...

Post by SolidSonicTH »

The idea of having every single save on a single unit is just too tempting. Plus it should easier to move data back and forth between my residences via the SD card (I have DCs at each end) so I can continue games from both places.

I think I can sell off all my current memory units to make back what i spent on them (I managed to get four 4x memory units from Japan for only like $100, which brings my total up to 5 and I also have two standard VMUs).
Snake79
lithium

Re: Decided to pull the trigger and bought a pair of VM2s...

Post by Snake79 »

I bought one VM2 myself. Like you, I find having to switch between multiple VMUs a real annoyance. I have 8 of them and I recently went through and catalogued everything. I have numbered each VMU and listed the contents so I know what games are on which VMU. I had several duplicate game files because I wasn't organised.

The VM2 should solve this problem, and it will make a real difference with regular use.

I have bought the DreamConn and the LightConn from Chris before, and I like to support Dreamcast innovation where possible, especially when it solves a problem or makes it a better experience.
DreamState
blackout!

Post by DreamState »

I have a completely reverse opinion. I also bought a VM2, but it’s ease of loading files up quicker doesn’t exist really. You just can not beat having VMUs plugged in with specific saves and ready to go as you load up the game. Until auto switching comes in, your looking at a bit of a back step to be fair. The only saving grace right now will be ease of backing up/swapping saves with the GUI, and even then we already have Dreamshell + SD, DreamConn and VMU explorer to complete this. The main selling point of this unit from the start should have really been the auto switching and to offer a GUI program better then the VMU explorer (which does have its bugs and quirks).
DCGX
Vagabond

Post by DCGX »

DreamState wrote:I have a completely reverse opinion. I also bought a VM2, but it’s ease of loading files up quicker doesn’t exist really. You just can not beat having VMUs plugged in with specific saves and ready to go as you load up the game. Until auto switching comes in, your looking at a bit of a back step to be fair. The only saving grace right now will be ease of backing up/swapping saves with the GUI, and even then we already have Dreamshell + SD, DreamConn and VMU explorer to complete this. The main selling point of this unit from the start should have really been the auto switching and to offer a GUI program better then the VMU explorer (which does have its bugs and quirks).
So you still have to manually go around in the VM2, like switching pages with the top button on the 4X or something?

I guess I pictured, and mostly read, though it was a bit confusing, the VM2 as a large VMU with near infinite storage thanks to the sd card, that then acts just like a standard VMU when used in a controller. I'm guessing I'm really wrong on this?

I still haven't received mine. The label was creating on August 26, but there's been no shipping updates since.
mistamontiel
Shark Patrol
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Errythan except Tetris o.0

Post by mistamontiel »

I thought the microSD button would be jus that like the 4x VMU but the 4x turns into infinite