Managed to score the mythical Component cables from RGC...

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SolidSonicTH
dark night

Managed to score the mythical Component cables from RGC...

Post#1 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:40 pm

Originally I was going to put my Saturn on Component and then buy a Kuro to make the DC SCART but after finding out that the DC's Component cables did actually drop (in some form) I decided to go in that direction instead.

Can the Component cables work with the OSSC?

redjeff76
Anarki

Re: Managed to score the mythical Component cables from RGC...

Post#2 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:49 am

Yes they can:

Compatable with:

Consumer Grade Televisions which accept component video, but only in 15KHz/576i TV mode only, and will not work in 480p mode. To use 480p Mode you need one of the following devices below.
Sony BVM which accepts 480p.
XRGB-mini Framemeister.
OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter).
RetroTink 2X Pro
RetroTink 5X Pro

This is copied straight from their website.

SolidSonicTH
dark night

Post#3 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:21 am

Actually I guess that was a bad question to ask.

I think the better question is can this cable expose more OSSC features than the VGA port can? Bob from RetroRGB mentioned to me it's better to use the other ports on the OSSC because the VGA port can't be adjusted to the same degree since it's apparently just a passthrough and little else.

marleneloveless
noob

Post#4 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:51 am

The VGA port on the OSSC is a passthrough port, which means that it does not have any additional features or adjustments compared to the other ports. However, the VGA port is still a good option for connecting your Dreamcast to the OSSC, especially if you have a VGA monitor or a monitor that supports 480p. The other ports on the OSSC, such as HDMI and DVI-D, may offer additional features and adjustments that are not available on the VGA port. If you’re looking for the best possible image quality and flexibility, you may want to consider using one of these ports instead of the VGA port. However, if you’re happy with the image quality and features of the VGA port, there’s no need to switch to another port.