A heartfelt thank you

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Pastel
shadow

A heartfelt thank you

Post#1 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:19 am

To this community, and all those who made Dreamcast playable online again. When I was a child, I desperately wanted to play my DC online, but my parents didn't ever want to pay subscription fees, or want me tying up the precious phone line to play games. It's just neat finally getting to know what I was missing, and experience it as it was as I enter my 30s.

Kind of a cheesy message but oh well.

Londinium
dirty sailor

Re: A heartfelt thank you

Post#2 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:04 pm

:D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jako
Sunday Shootout

Post#3 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:08 pm

Pastel wrote:To this community, and all those who made Dreamcast playable online again. When I was a child, I desperately wanted to play my DC online, but my parents didn't ever want to pay subscription fees, or want me tying up the precious phone line to play games. It's just neat finally getting to know what I was missing, and experience it as it was as I enter my 30s.

I had the same feeling and the same situation in the 2000/2001 year!
We (a lot of drunken friends and me) got to connect the Dreamcast 1night in a country side party house to internet.
Months playing (offline) the Dreamcast all the night, 20 friends usually more or less... And one day one friend said:
-The other day I got to play Quake 3 on a cyber coffee.
-This white box can do it too!!!

After 1 hour, we got to play Quake 3 on the Dreamcast! Was a miracle, some try and error, but worked!

We never knew the cost of the call, or the played time... But was a magic night!

I miss my analog line, my operator changed it 3 years ago... Now the phone is digital and useless.
DREAMPI is cool, is our salvation, is tech art... But was cool too to plug a wire between the wall and the Dreamcast and fly!!!

Yes, in Spain, if you have analog line nowday and do a correct ISP setup... You can play many games like old times on the Dreamcast and the call is free.

Maybe what I say is a bit offtopic, but I enjoy a lot this stories because are part of the spirit of the Dreamcast: So advanced for that time.

I want to say thank you too to all the people that revived the Online Gaming of the Dreamcast. Big work, big results. THANKS TO EACH ONE! :-)
Be Dreamcast My Friend!!!

spinksy
Prince of Persia

Post#4 » Tue May 30, 2023 10:32 am

Pastel wrote:To this community, and all those who made Dreamcast playable online again. When I was a child, I desperately wanted to play my DC online, but my parents didn't ever want to pay subscription fees, or want me tying up the precious phone line to play games. It's just neat finally getting to know what I was missing, and experience it as it was as I enter my 30s.

same from me even after a few years of loosely playing DC online - was never allowed mine online as a 15/16 year old back in 2000/2001 when I had one! (was frustrating as 2 of my mates had DCs and played online - always remember playing quake 3 online in my mates bedroom!
Dreamcast, it's still thinking.

PSO v2 HuCAST lvl.46
name: Predator

Lew3030
rebel

Post#5 » Tue May 30, 2023 11:36 pm

Hi. I read on wikipedia that there was a grievance amongst the consumers because not enough games had online at launch. It would hurt to not point that out. I'm turning one plus thirty this year and I remember having to use a really long cable from one room into the other room where the Dreamcast was. Honestly played the demo discs so much more.

RobisMarshall
minority

Post#6 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:33 am

I grew up in a small town where internet was not always available and I never got to play a game online not until I joined the army inn 2008. I am so glad people made this possible praise DREAMPI

SolidSonicTH
dark night

Post#7 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:36 pm

Too bad the fighting games like CvS2 seem to be tied to some sort of secondary online infrastructure.

Though I can't imagine it'd be that smooth even over modern broadband (especially when it's used with the dial-up adapter vs. the broadband adapter).

Xiden
Developer

Post#8 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:56 pm

SolidSonicTH wrote:Too bad the fighting games like CvS2 seem to be tied to some sort of secondary online infrastructure.

Though I can't imagine it'd be that smooth even over modern broadband (especially when it's used with the dial-up adapter vs. the broadband adapter).

The lastest dreampi image has a tunneler to fix that very problem! Did some testing with SegaRPG on Vampire hunters and its smooth gameplay, but theres a major bug with this one so not ready for prime time.

SolidSonicTH
dark night

Post#9 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:35 pm

Xiden wrote:
SolidSonicTH wrote:Too bad the fighting games like CvS2 seem to be tied to some sort of secondary online infrastructure.

The lastest dreampi image has a tunneler to fix that very problem! Did some testing with SegaRPG on Vampire hunters and its smooth gameplay, but theres a major bug with this one so not ready for prime time.

Wow, really?! Schweet. It'll be nice to have an alternative to EO when I want to play CvS2 online.

Return to “Lounge”