Using Dream Point Bank Controllers?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Using Dream Point Bank Controllers?

Post#1 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:57 pm

I'm not usually one for expensive novelty controllers, but I must admit that the Dream Point Bank controllers and VMUs have entranced me ever since I saw them.

However, I'm aware that all of the photos I've seen of them have them in unused condition, with the cable even still neatly coiled up from the box. Does anyone actually use these for daily gaming?

My big concern is that if using them frequently, some of the printed pattern might gradually wear off, and leave behind a rather nasty looking controller. This would kind of invalidate spending a good chunk of cash on them for me. But then again, they seem to be covered in some kind of gloss sealant, from what I've seen, which might make them a bit more resistant.

Can anyone verify if these stand up to daily use?

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Using Dream Point Bank Controllers?

Post#2 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:16 pm

That might depend a little bit on you. Some people seem to get naturally sweaty palms when using things like game controllers and guitars, whereas others' palms stay dry. Generally, the people who have the sweaty palms tend to have more wear on stuff like glossy coatings on the guitar neck, or discoloration on game controllers.

So which are you? sweaty palm or dry palm? :lol:

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:43 pm

Luckily I'm more of the dry palm variety, unless I'm playing Crazy Taxi! :lol:

Thinking about it, those painted variants of the various Game Boys tend to only wear after a considerable amount of use, so if these have a similar sealant (or tougher), maybe they'll be okay. I suppose you can also use car varnish spray to re-seal them once they start to wear.

sonikkublue
rebel

Post#4 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:03 pm

IMO that totally depends on your outlook, whether or not you want to actively use it regardless of its condition and price point you got it for.

dark wrote:That might depend a little bit on you. Some people seem to get naturally sweaty palms when using things like game controllers and guitars, whereas others' palms stay dry.

this too, lol. i'd wager though that as long as you take good care of the pad and you don't sweat all over it, you should be alright. wear is still inevitable with use, so i'd probably be cautious if you're wanting to keep it suuuuper pristine. this is exactly why i have only checked out my crossniq+ vmu once, then slid it into some spare vmu packaging i had knocking around

had it been me with my fickle palms, i would likely just display it unless i really wanted to use it day-to-day... then i'd be silly enough to buy a dupe or double down and just use the damn thing. you pay an exuberant amount of $$$ for something, you have your god-given right to wear that mug down with love haha

bertramfoley
noob

Post#5 » Thu May 18, 2023 4:58 pm

dark wrote:That might depend a little bit on you. Some people seem to get naturally sweaty palms when using things like game controllers and guitars, whereas others' palms stay dry. Generally, the people who have the sweaty palms tend to have more wear on stuff like glossy coatings on the guitar neck, or discoloration on game controllers.

So which are you? sweaty palm or dry palm? :lol:

I have sweaty palms even when I am not stressed. I can't imagine someone having dry palms while playing. This is crazy to me.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:12 pm

My palms stay nice and dry :lol:

Moosyin
rebel

Post#7 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:36 pm

I use the Wood and Marble one regularly and so far they haven't faded yet. But I think if you paid the money you should use and enjoy them.