Anyone ever play Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles on Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Brobey
noob

Anyone ever play Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles on Dreamcast?

Post#1 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:14 am

Never see anyone talk about this game since it's PAL only, and it's a very expensive game to own nowadays.
I've had it for a while and it's not a great game. Just got a question for anyone who has played it on console before.
Mine can basically crash at anytime anywhere randomly. I bought mine basically mint condition and even own another copy that is a unofficial region free version. Both cause my game to just freeze and puts a halt to the game.
I've tried speedrunning this game in the past, but the softlocks were too horrible to run/play a game that is about 5 hours long.
Not asking for a "fix", but just wanna know if anyone else has had experience with this game and if it's crashed or not for them. I've also played the PS2 version as well. Nothing wrong with that version I believe? It's a messy game and not very polished so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just how the game is. Might just be my Dreamcast, but no other game has done that to me.

runkthepunk
Doom

Re: Anyone ever play Evil Twin: Cyprien's Chronicles on Dreamcast?

Post#2 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:31 am

Hey there,

Yeah i've played Evil Twin a fair bit and yes i have had several instances of lock ups / crashes

I play mine on a white label promo which should be the same as full retail

I know its not a mega long game but i tend to get a bit lost in the game and have never finished it but I will do one day!

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:27 am

Forever ago UGB states the PS2 variant is far better, so I asked how if it's only 50hz? I did also get this Hori Upscan Converter 2 VGA box (the thing is it doesn't even do the enhanced def any of the further component modes), and it's some wizardry that 50hz is just viewable over it. Tested Ico PAL Siren 2 PAL perfect

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:21 pm

I own it as well. I always played it on a region modded US dreamcast with a vga connection. I don't really remember the game freezing, certainly not regularly. It might have happened once. The game is pretty janky. I heard that some of the enemy/boss ai towards the end of the game is practically nonexistent, and there are other indicators that the game was not 100% finished and rushed out at the last moment (it was one of the last DC releases in Europe, in 2002 I think).

I don't know how long it is, but I've definitely put more than 5 hours into it and not beaten it. I never did beat it, I got to some part on the volk ship that involved difficult platforming and the last save point was not nearby so I quit. I consider it lucky that the game came out at all. It has some unique style though and I don't think its a bad game. I'm glad it came out.

I've also had a memory card issue with it. Basically even if I already have a save game on the card, I need to keep at least as many blocks free on the card as the game save is (20 blocks?), if I don't have that much, then the game won't let me save (for instance, in contrast to every other game I own, it won't let me just overwrite the previous save data on a full card).

Ironclad
noob

Post#5 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:25 pm

Brobey wrote:Never see anyone talk about this game since it's PAL only, and it's a very expensive game to own nowadays.
I've had it for a while and it's not a great game. Just got a question for anyone who has played it on console before.
Mine can basically crash at anytime anywhere randomly. I bought mine basically mint condition and even own another copy that is a unofficial region free version. Both cause my game to just freeze and puts a halt to the game.
I've tried speedrunning this Territorial iogame in the past, but the softlocks were too horrible to run/play a game that is about 5 hours long.
Not asking for a "fix", but just wanna know if anyone else has had experience with this game and if it's crashed or not for them. I've also played the PS2 version as well. Nothing wrong with that version I believe? It's a messy game and not very polished so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just how the game is. Might just be my Dreamcast, but no other game has done that to me.

Can you share how you neutralized it?

Brobey
noob

Post#6 » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:41 pm

Ironclad wrote:
Brobey wrote:Never see anyone talk about this game since it's PAL only, and it's a very expensive game to own nowadays.
I've tried speedrunning this Territorial iogame in the past, but the softlocks were too horrible to run/play a game that is about 5 hours long.

Can you share how you neutralized it?

Neutralized it?

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#7 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:45 pm

I have a European backup and the game won't let me save to the vmu. The game is really good.