Is there a Skies of Arcadia encounter rate mod?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Is there a Skies of Arcadia encounter rate mod?

Post#31 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:15 pm

amcpartymix wrote:Can this encounter rate patch be patched over your uncensored mod?

Yes i want to apply it.

Captain
noob

Post#32 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:35 am

fafadou wrote:
pomegd wrote:

Code: Select all

encounter value(increased by walking)
8C4ECCE4 xxxx

default threshold
8C0DAA5A 01E0

If the value of the encounters exceeds the threshold value, the fight is randomly shifted to a battle.
You can change the encounter rate by changing the threshold value.

The "rate" is here @pomegd explain everything thanks to him.
Please try this version and tell me if there is a difference, i'm not at home and no stuff :
I find here a patch version if someone want to try :
https://mega.nz/file/9vJnXaQb#P9AJSARDS ... vJ97jaw89k

The encounter is around *2 : E0 01 -> E0 02

Thank you for your hard work on this!! It seems to run fine on Redream. :) I have some questions:
1. How do I move onto Disc 2, since only Disc 1 is included?
2. Since this seems to cut the encounter rate in half, is it possible to increase all EXP gained by 25% or something to accommodate the change? I think 50% extra EXP might be too much considering certain boss fights give you a lot, but I guess it could work either way...
3. It seems Vyse runs noticeably faster than my US copy of the game, is that normal?

ner0
noob

Post#33 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:56 pm

I was playing this game (USA) early this year in Flycast through RetroArch, I wrote a bunch of cheats for it. The interest may be limited, but I'll attach the cheat file for whomever might want to make use of it.

One other thing, the cheat for the encounter rate was fairly easy to make because it's a counter that starts at a fixed value, which I don't recall at the moment, and decreases with every step/movement the player makes. So if you search for it in memory yourself you need to look for values that decrease after you have moved and increased after you have completed an encounter, the same address is constant throughout the game in both CDs.

This isn't helpful for people using hardcoded cheats in images for an actual console, unfortunately.
Attachments
Skies of Arcadia (USA).zip
RetroArch/Flycast cheat file for Skies of Arcadia (USA)
(7.13 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#34 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:46 am

Captain wrote:
fafadou wrote:
pomegd wrote:

encounter value(increased by walking)
8C4ECCE4 xxxx

default threshold
8C0DAA5A 01E0

If the value of the encounters exceeds the threshold value, the fight is randomly shifted to a battle.
You can change the encounter rate by changing the threshold value.

The "rate" is here @pomegd explain everything thanks to him.
Please try this version and tell me if there is a difference, i'm not at home and no stuff :
I find here a patch version if someone want to try :
https://mega.nz/file/9vJnXaQb#P9AJSARDS ... vJ97jaw89k

The encounter is around *2 : E0 01 -> E0 02

Thank you for your hard work on this!! It seems to run fine on Redream. :) I have some questions:
1. How do I move onto Disc 2, since only Disc 1 is included?

I'll patch the second disc it was just a test.

[/quote]
2. Since this seems to cut the encounter rate in half, is it possible to increase all EXP gained by 25% or something to accommodate the change? I think 50% extra EXP might be too much considering certain boss fights give you a lot, but I guess it could work either way...[/quote]

I don't know how to patch the exp wins.
But for me the game become quite easy very quickly with the native encounter rate. So it's not necessary to patch it. But if someone tell me how do to, for sure I will.

[/quote]
3. It seems Vyse runs noticeably faster than my US copy of the game, is that normal?[/quote]
With the PAL version the game is natively at 50Hz, increase to 60Hz, Vyse runs faster.
I don't know how the US game run, but it's maybe due to @japanese_cake vga 60Hz patch.

It's more confortable, the original speed is very low.

ner0 wrote:I was playing this game (USA) early this year in Flycast through RetroArch, I wrote a bunch of cheats for it. The interest may be limited, but I'll attach the cheat file for whomever might want to make use of it.

One other thing, the cheat for the encounter rate was fairly easy to make because it's a counter that starts at a fixed value, which I don't recall at the moment, and decreases with every step/movement the player makes. So if you search for it in memory yourself you need to look for values that decrease after you have moved and increased after you have completed an encounter, the same address is constant throughout the game in both CDs.

This isn't helpful for people using hardcoded cheats in images for an actual console, unfortunately.

Thank you, for my knowledge it's almost impossible to find it.

This is a cheat engine file ?

ner0
noob

Post#35 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:06 am

fafadou wrote:
ner0 wrote:I was playing this game (USA) early this year in Flycast through RetroArch, I wrote a bunch of cheats for it. The interest may be limited, but I'll attach the cheat file for whomever might want to make use of it.

Thank you, for my knowledge it's almost impossible to find it.

This is a cheat engine file ?

No, this is a cheat file for use in RetroArch, specifically with the Flycast emulator, its cheat engine is embedded and exclusive to RetroArch yet similar to Cheat Engine by Dark Byte. Using an external cheat engine on an emulator is much easier because we can scan the memory and make temporary adjustments on the fly, it is much harder to find the equivalent SH-4 instructions and patch the game permanently.

pomegd
rebel

Post#36 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:52 am

It is not difficult to just double the experience.
However, it is not only experience that is gained after the battle, but also MagicExp. and money.
It would be a bit troublesome to double these as well.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#37 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:37 am

pomegd wrote:It is not difficult to just double the experience.
However, it is not only experience that is gained after the battle, but also MagicExp. and money.
It would be a bit troublesome to double these as well.

Do you know where the experience value is please ?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#38 » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:14 pm

Here the new version uncensored to test with english dub :
avoid fights while pressing b buttons, and encounter rate "/2" :
https://mega.nz/file/wmZkVaSB#dfSUcVRPt ... YgddCtJ3VA

More version will come if the result is good.

chrisreeveb
noob

Post#39 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:13 pm

pomegd wrote:While pressing the B button, you will not be encumbered.
Only the first battleship and ship movements have been checked. Therefore, there may be imperfections.

us ver.
track03.bin
find:
8d f3 06 d3 38 f2 34 f2 05 89 05 d1 12 62 01 72 22 21 07 a0 09 00 e8 a1 09 00 00 00 0c 0c 57 8c

replace:
06 d3 30 60 02 c8 09 00 05 8b 05 d1 12 62 01 72 22 21 07 a0 09 00 e8 a1 09 00 00 00 4c 42 56 8c

This work has many encounters, but what is interesting is that during the movement of the ship, the value of the encounters increased even when the ship was at a standstill.
I was mistaken. :|

I tried this and I'm still getting encounters, you're only supposed to edit track03.bin using a hex editor right? I'm using redream android.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#40 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:57 pm

It had worked for me.
How many time do you hold the B button ?