Has anyone ever completed Sega Rally 2's 10 Year mode?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SolidSonicTH
dark night

Has anyone ever completed Sega Rally 2's 10 Year mode?

Post#1 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:09 am

I have been stuck on Year 5 since I was 14.

14! I'm going to be 36 next month and I'm still chopping away at the same save!

Impacto
dark night

Re: Has anyone ever completed Sega Rally 2's 10 Year mode?

Post#2 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:21 am

You need to get a better controller, after change my otiginal DC controller for the new Striker DC Pro, the game became way more easy.

Woodneeded
undertow

Post#3 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:34 pm

I got to year 7 and then stuck it's been a 28 some year grind for me too. I know some forum member on here has completed the whole thing. The game is deceptively difficult.

Axel85
lithium

Post#4 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:53 am

SolidSonicTH wrote:I have been stuck on Year 5 since I was 14.

Same situation... But I'm 37 . Sometimes in years I tried to beat year 5 but for me it's impossible. It's way too hard , and after trying 6 or 7 times it makes me wanna destroy the pad and Dreamcast. I have to try striker DC pad

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:44 am

Never knew it was considered that hard..I finished all 10 years in like a few weeks when I first attempted it a few years ago. With the standard DC pad of course.

A few years were annoying, but didn't feel on the level of impossible. I probably had a harder time with some levels in Moho.

ShreddieMercury
undertow

Post#6 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:39 pm

I just recently got really into the game and ended up beating the entire 10 year championship. I want to say years 7 and 10 are by far the hardest, but I may be misremembering. The rest of them are still difficult but feel doable once you get a handle on the tracks.

I'm not sure exactly how much the tweaking of the car stats matter - I ended up really only adjusting the gear ratios (how fast or slow the car accelerates, which either increases or decreases top speed) and the suspension (slightly softer for gravel/snow and slightly harder for tarmac). One other tip is that the game defaults in tires for you based on the track, and these are sometimes completely incorrect. I forget which one I swapped, but doing so consistently made my times faster by several seconds (I think it's what defaults in for gravel tracks).

There is also a code that you can input at the main menu to lock the game to either 30fps or 60fps. I found that once I locked it to 30 (with full detail intact), the game became more playable and enjoyable:

30fps: Press Up, A, Down (x2), Left, Right, B(x2), Up at the title screen. (A tone confirms correct entry.)
60fps: Press Up, A, Down (x2), Left, Right, B(x2), Up at the title screen. (A tone confirms correct entry.)

cuhnkedrik
noob

Post#7 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:51 am

SolidSonicTH wrote:I have been stuck on Year 5 since I was 14.

Every once in a while I try to outdo year 5, but I always fail. I want to smash my pad and Dreamcast after attempting that a few of times. The striker DC pad is a must-try.