F355 Challenge Online Play (Via Parsec)

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
DreamcastUK
brutal

F355 Challenge Online Play (Via Parsec)

Post#1 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:19 am

Hey All

So there are quite a few Dreamcast games which would have been amazing to play online or some of which didn't have online play included in the PAL versions of the games and others which a number of us go to enjoy online when the official servers were still active.

I really like racing games and used to play F355 Challenge online back in the day with the Ghost Racing with gamers such as F40 and WormyTheWorm I still have a VHS somewhere when I recorded the footage but it has been a number of years and still can't find it (but I will don't worry)

This is a way to play F355 Challenge online, if you didn't already know Parsec allows you to share your screen for others to connect to, so if I ran an emulator and then selected F355 Challenge and pressed local multiplayer, someone would be able to join my hosted room on Parsec and then my computer would detect their controller which would then add as a second controller to the game which I am playing and so forth. (So it's like having them play locally in the same room but just over the internet, like other tunnelling programmes)

Me and and everyone's fav Dreamcast content creator/homebrew and indie guy Al from @GamesReup have played a few games online together and would welcome anyone who wants to join us online for some more games to use Parsec https://parsec.app/, up to 4 players :)
Online Games: PSO | Quake III Arena | Toy Racer | 4x4 Evo | Starlancer | Planet Ring | Maximum Pool

ItsMuchMore
Founder & Lead Editor

The Dreamcast Junkyard
YouTube Editor

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: F355 Challenge Online Play (Via Parsec)

Post#2 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:42 pm

So it seems you could basically use this software to play any local multiplayer game as an "online" game with player 2's inputs coming in remotely, and player 2 seeing the streamed screen in realtime via the internet.

How is the lag on things for player 2? Is it gamebreaking for stuff like fighting games and shmups? If not, then why aren't people using this all over the place to play the very numerous amount of local multiplayer dreamcast (or other system) games online?