Oh wow! Neo Geo Pocket Color DC Link cable.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
MoeFoh
Uber

Oh wow! Neo Geo Pocket Color DC Link cable.

Post#1 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:18 pm

I've been playing a Neo Geo Pocket Color emulator lately on Android and came across this on the game 'SNK vs Capcom - Match Of The Millennium'.

Screenshot_2022-06-11.png

and found some history here:
https://www.thedreamcastjunkyard.co.uk/ ... cable.html

More advanced forward-looking features of the Dreamcast!

Has anybody actually used one?

Looks like use is pretty limited.
"Since you can transfer game credit/currency between the fighting games, it's like leveling up in the portable version and then using that experience on the console version as well, and vice versa. In that sense it can be handy as you can unlock characters etc. much faster, especially in Capcom vs. SNK on Dreamcast."

Pretty cool anyway, especially for collectors.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: Oh wow! Neo Geo Pocket Color DC Link cable.

Post#2 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:24 pm

Yeah it was advertised on the back of the box for KOF dream match 99 on dreamcast in the US, even though a neogeo pocket and KOF R2 would have been incredibly rare in the US at the time, and I don't think the connector cable even officially released in the US.

As you found, it basically just gives you some points or facilitates unlocking some items in the respective SNK or Capcom games. I wish it did more like the GBA/Gamecube connection could do...

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#3 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:01 pm

dark wrote:Yeah it was advertised on the back of the box for KOF dream match 99 on dreamcast in the US, even though a neogeo pocket and KOF R2 would have been incredibly rare in the US at the time, and I don't think the connector cable even officially released in the US.

As you found, it basically just gives you some points or facilitates unlocking some items in the respective SNK or Capcom games. I wish it did more like the GBA/Gamecube connection could do...

Looks like Japan only. https://segaretro.org/Neo_Geo_Pocket/Dr ... zoku_Cable

That back cover is NTSC-U, so they must of had plans for sale in the US.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:25 am

I bought mine second-hand, but this cable must've been sold in the US at some point, because the box to mine is completely in English only and has addresses for SNK USA:

I used this with my copies of KoF and Capcom vs. SNK. I used the DC Game Shark for unlimited points, and would transfer the points into the NGPC games to unlock stuff faster.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#5 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:57 pm

DCGX wrote:I bought mine second-hand, but this cable must've been sold in the US at some point, because the box to mine is completely in English only and has addresses for SNK USA:

I used this with my copies of KoF and Capcom vs. SNK. I used the DC Game Shark for unlimited points, and would transfer the points into the NGPC games to unlock stuff faster.

You may have something that is extremely rare.
- Charles Bukowski

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#6 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:51 pm

Oh I'm aware lol

I double-checked when I got it. Thankfully GameTZ archives every trade you make. I bought it for $20 on April 23, 2004. The cable is always connected to my DC, and the box stays in my DC system box.