CR2032 Battery Checker and Storage

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
killer-elite
blackout!

CR2032 Battery Checker and Storage

Post#1 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:13 am

Hi I usually use my multi-meter to check the voltages of my batteries but my 9V that powers said multi-meter has died. I haven't had the chance to order some replacement batteries so I ended up using a old Sony Pocket Station to test out all my batteries (more then 2/3 were dead) I ended up using the strongest ones to re-test the "dead" ones that couldn't power up in a VMU being VMU's piggy back the power in unison in the battery compartment (or so I think) and a really weak one on top of a known working strong one will not power on.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for checking the voltages besides using a multi-meter?? And how do yall store these things?? I have em loose in a bag but I think that is why most of them discharged cause the positive and negative currents were all rubbing against each other. I need to invest in a 3D printed battery holder or find a case that can store them without them touching and dying out.

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Re: CR2032 Battery Checker and Storage

Post#2 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:31 am

I have one of these bad boys to test batteries, haven't tried it with coin cells yet, but according to the picture, it should work:
fc5f742f3f95258ba87a3479b9a8dc8c13d38570_original.jpeg

The good thing is that it doesn't need its own battery, it uses the charge from the tested battery.

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#3 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:42 pm

UPDATE on the battery holder....
I ended up buying a 20 slot CR2032 3D Printed Battery Holder from etsy.... I think it came out to 13 bucks with free shipping, I got the UV reactive orange color...I saw some other seller who had a glow in the dark one but it only held 10 batteries. Here is the link if anyone is also interested, I had to message the person to make me a 20 slot version as they only had the 10 listed in their store
https://www.etsy.com/listing/970988768/cr2025-battery-storage-box?click_key=13fdad6845c3deb60d5ea72a06b8790012c83a16%3A970988768&click_sum=1d9c68f7&ref=shop_home_active_6&frs=1

As for the battery checker Im going to have to do some research and find something a little bit better then what I'm currently using atm

killer-elite
blackout!

Post#4 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:45 pm

Tarnish wrote:I have one of these bad boys to test batteries, haven't tried it with coin cells yet, but according to the picture, it should work:
The good thing is that it doesn't need its own battery, it uses the charge from the tested battery.

Where did you buy the battery tester at? and what is the name of the brand? Thank You

Tarnish
Prince of Persia

Post#5 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:40 am

killer-elite wrote:
Tarnish wrote:I have one of these bad boys to test batteries, haven't tried it with coin cells yet, but according to the picture, it should work:

Where did you buy the battery tester at? and what is the name of the brand? Thank You

Since I bought it in Hungary, I doubt that info would be much help. And this battery tester seems like one of those items that have a million clones, I say just buy whichever you find the cheapest that has good reviews. Just make sure you buy one with the sliding part on the side so you can test coin cells too.

Alex_DC
dark night

Post#6 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:12 am

Not sure if it’s an old wive’s tale, but keeping batteries in the fridge allegedly extends storage life.