Dreamcast connected to NeoGeo Pocket via serial

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ro Magnus Larsson
Vagabond

Dreamcast connected to NeoGeo Pocket via serial

Post#1 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:36 am

maybe it allows some new possibilities?

It is possible to connect both consoles via serial port DC with NeoGeo Pocket, can connect many games of both systems like The King of Fighters R-2 with KOF Evolution. It allows to interchange info, unblock characters, or to open missions in the games. Dreamcast is still a surprise

FB_IMG_1650464577852.jpg
FB_IMG_1650464577852.jpg (17.23 KiB) Viewed 5229 times
Ro Magnus
Argentina.-

sonik
Developer

Re: Dreamcast connected to NeoGeo Pocket via serial

Post#2 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:35 pm

I have this cable :D
But I cut it in the middle and make it to connect dreamcast <> PC. Back in the day it was used as a "coders cable" to send programs to the dreamcast.

I still have the two parts of the cable and I want to make it compatible with the NGP again someday.
EDF! EDF! EDF!

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#3 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:08 pm

I have this cable too, got it for $20 complete in box so many years ago. I used it quite a bit for the games that supported it back in the day.

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#4 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:51 am

Was cool that we got that, though not much was done besides data sharing between fighting/puzzle games I think. Would have been cool if we got something like "PacMan Vs" on the Gamecube, though I am not sure if something like that is possible using the serial port. With hindsight being 2020, they should have ditched the VMU idea, and really pushed the NeoGeo Pocket Color being part of the DC family. Using portable sonic games for the Chao garden. Probably wouldn't have worked as even nintendo's GC/GBA link was limited in its appeal, but at least we would have had a better memory card design.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Wed May 04, 2022 10:13 pm

I was kinda disappointed in the implementation of this. It was basically only used for unlocking some features in the respective games. At the very least I would have liked to have seen the NGP able to be used as a controller for some dreamcast game or mini game. I wanted this to be more like the GBA-gamecube functionality.

Caspian
core

Post#6 » Sat May 07, 2022 5:25 am

Another story of the unlocked potential of the system. Unfortunately the underdog alliance of SEGA-SNK simply did not have the resources to make the best out of this.