Brook Wingman SD questions for owners of one.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Brook Wingman SD questions for owners of one.

Post#1 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:24 am

Hey guys, so I just got a Brook Wingman SD coming in the mail soon so I can use modern controllers on my Dreamcast. I noticed it also said it is compatible with PC X-input. So my question is if I connect the USB to my PC and this adapter into the port labeled with the PC icon over it, I can also use this to connect PS3 and Xbox One S controllers wirelessly to PC that has no built in Bluetooth and use them wirelessly right? Alternatively, if it works that way from PC I wonder if Brook could make this compatible with PS3 or other consoles as well? I know they have released firmware updates so no reason it shouldn't be possible to support more systems with it by plugging in the PC labeled USB port to PS3 or something right?

I know PS3 uses Direct-Input so might not be so simple, but surely could be updated via firmware to do so? I also seen they support dual analog controls in many games, I know it is not true analog but emulating the face buttons. Does anybody know if this is possible as well on Half-Life? I.e. making face buttons as look and left stick for character movement? Been a long time since I messed with configuring controls in that game.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Re: Brook Wingman SD questions for owners of one.

Post#2 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:43 am

I don't know about wireless controllers but it will allow you to use direct input controllers and make them look like x-input controllers. Like zero delay arcade sticks or PS3 arcade sticks.

I'll test the dual analog on half life later today and report back.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#3 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:01 pm

dubcity wrote:I'll test the dual analog on half life later today and report back.

does Brook Wingman SD have dual analog support? as far as I remember, only two projects support the second analogue, BlueRetro and my SMPKC2DC

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#4 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:17 pm

It maps the second analogue to the face buttons

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#5 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:54 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
dubcity wrote:I'll test the dual analog on half life later today and report back.

does Brook Wingman SD have dual analog support? as far as I remember, only two projects support the second analogue, BlueRetro and my SMPKC2DC

Yes, it basically makes Xeno Crisis a real twin stick shooter now.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#6 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:29 pm

I've only used the pc x-input feature on a wired supported controller - it does work. Maybe you can test with bluetooth and report back?

Attached beta firmware updater, which you will not find on their website.
Attachments
wingman_sd_firmware.txt
Firmware History
(3.33 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
WingmanSD_Buttons.png
Mapping
WingmanSD_UserGuide_202006v2.pdf
User Guide
(558.54 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
BROOK_WingManSD_BETA_Firmware_Updater.zip
BETA Firmware Updater
(6.07 MiB) Downloaded 152 times
Last edited by MoeFoh on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#7 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:35 pm

-drez01- wrote:It maps the second analogue to the face buttons

I remember this was a much requested feature they fulfilled.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:40 pm

I see they made USB keyboards work on the Dreamcast with these, but no mention of USB mice. Any idea if people brought this up to them as a suggestion, or if they support/planned to support it in the future? Right now I only have my official Dreamcast mouse, becasue my official keyboard broke, but would be interesting if it supported optical USB mice for FPS and other things that support it. I might get another in the future, or if there is a cheaper device that works with optical mice anybody knows of please let us know. If I recall one of the Total Control adapters supports PS/2 optical mice. But those types of mice and those adapters are getting a bit harder to find.

Also, I wonder how difficult it would be to internalize this into the Dreamcast. There are some internal photos of it here.

https://fccid.io/2ADKM005B/Internal-Pho ... os-4803811

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#9 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:47 pm

Twin stick mode for either Saturn or Dreamcast is also conspicuously missing. Remapping of buttons is there though. Sometimes helps to map things to the extra shoulder buttons of modern controllers.

Also, L and R stick can be swapped so you can do normal FPS type movement and looking
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#10 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:49 pm

I've successfully used a USB keyboard with DreamShell. :o

USB mice support would be a nice feature.
- Charles Bukowski