Brook Wingman SD questions for owners of one.

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Motoracer5
blackout!

Re: Brook Wingman SD questions for owners of one.

Post#11 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:59 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Twin stick mode for either Saturn or Dreamcast is also conspicuously missing. Remapping of buttons is there though. Sometimes helps to map things to the extra shoulder buttons of modern controllers.

Also, L and R stick can be swapped so you can do normal FPS type movement and looking

Didn't know the sticks could be swapped, how is this done?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#12 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:01 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Twin stick mode for either Saturn or Dreamcast is also conspicuously missing. Remapping of buttons is there though. Sometimes helps to map things to the extra shoulder buttons of modern controllers.

Also, L and R stick can be swapped so you can do normal FPS type movement and looking

Oh man that is great to hear! I was really bummed out it appeared in that video I linked in OP only the right stick could emulate face buttons and not swap the actual analog movement from L stick to R stick. That is awesome to know! This just keeps getting better and better the more I learn about it. Also, I bet if enough people request them to add the feature on Twitter or wherever else they are active online they could easily add USB mice to it. Hell, if they could get it working with other systems as well not just Dreamcast, Saturn and PC that would be cool too.

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#13 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:03 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
dubcity wrote:I'll test the dual analog on half life later today and report back.

does Brook Wingman SD have dual analog support? as far as I remember, only two projects support the second analogue, BlueRetro and my SMPKC2DC

No, dosen't actually support dual analog. Just maps the right stick to face buttons. Would be cool, even though I have no use for it. Twin stick mode would be neat as well

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#14 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:15 pm

It needs dual Analog support, sadly the guy who runs it didn't have a clue what I meant when I suggested it. Either a translation issue or he just didn't understand that the DC is capable of dual stick functionality (despite my best attempts to explain it to him).

It's useful to be able to map the face buttons, but at this point it's an out of date a concept.

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#15 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:18 pm

Motoracer5 wrote:

Select+L3: Left TS is Main.
Select+R3: Right TS is Main.
Last edited by MoeFoh on Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#16 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:26 pm

Roareye wrote:It needs dual Analog support, sadly the guy who runs it didn't have a clue what I meant when I suggested it. Either a translation issue or he just didn't understand that the DC is capable of dual stick functionality (despite my best attempts to explain it to him).

It's useful to be able to map the face buttons, but at this point it's an out of date a concept.

I think if you break it down to him and show him in the Maple Bus code that it can support true right analog natively he might understand better. And those games could be hacked for the new input.

We could also have system reset added to possibly Xbox Home button or PS Home. Would be cool too.

You can see what all inputs the Maple protocol supports here, and another analog is one of them.

Analog inputs.

Code: Select all

/* Raw controller condition structure */

typedef struct {

uint16 buttons;         /* buttons bitfield */

uint8 rtrig;            /* right trigger */

uint8 ltrig;            /* left trigger */

uint8 joyx;         /* joystick X */

uint8 joyy;         /* joystick Y */

uint8 joy2x;            /* second joystick X */

uint8 joy2y;            /* second joystick Y */

} cont_cond_t;

And then the digital inputs.

Code: Select all

#define CONT_C          (1<<0)

#define CONT_B          (1<<1)

#define CONT_A          (1<<2)

#define CONT_START      (1<<3)

#define CONT_DPAD_UP        (1<<4)

#define CONT_DPAD_DOWN      (1<<5)

#define CONT_DPAD_LEFT      (1<<6)

#define CONT_DPAD_RIGHT     (1<<7)

#define CONT_Z          (1<<8)

#define CONT_Y          (1<<9)

#define CONT_X          (1<<10)

#define CONT_D          (1<<11)

#define CONT_DPAD2_UP       (1<<12)

#define CONT_DPAD2_DOWN     (1<<13)

#define CONT_DPAD2_LEFT     (1<<14)

#define CONT_DPAD2_RIGHT    (1<<15)

Source: https://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 2#p1053192

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#17 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:39 pm

MoeFoh wrote:
Motoracer5 wrote:

Select+L3: Left TS is main.
Select+R3: Right TS is main.

Thanks!!! Need the beta firmware installed for this?

Just tried Outtrigger with swapped sticks, so good! Now all they need is adjustable deadzone and the SD will be pretty darn close to perfect

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#18 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:00 pm

Mayflash magic-ns (adjust deadzone) > Wingman SD
If you can't live without deadzone adjustment.

Also worth noting that the retro bit usb dongle for the 2.4g controllers works on the wingman
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

Motoracer5
blackout!

Post#19 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:10 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:Mayflash magic-ns (adjust deadzone) > Wingman SD
If you can't live without deadzone adjustment.

Also worth noting that the retro bit usb dongle for the 2.4g controllers works on the wingman

The problem with dead zone on the SD is that the mode that allows 100 to 100 analog input has a huge deadzone, makes games like Red Dog pretty much unplayable. The mode that has a tight deadzone has 70 to 100 analog so is very sensitive as the the Dreamcast sees 100% input at 70% stick input. I have a Magic S Pro, using that in tandem can not fix the problem.

This issue also existed on other Brook products and has been addressed, just not on the SD yet sadly

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#20 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:26 pm

Anthony817 wrote:I see they made USB keyboards work on the Dreamcast with these, but no mention of USB mice. Any idea if people brought this up to them as a suggestion, or if they support/planned to support it in the future? Right now I only have my official Dreamcast mouse, becasue my official keyboard broke, but would be interesting if it supported optical USB mice for FPS and other things that support it. I might get another in the future, or if there is a cheaper device that works with optical mice anybody knows of please let us know. If I recall one of the Total Control adapters supports PS/2 optical mice. But those types of mice and those adapters are getting a bit harder to find.

DC SKILLZ 2in1

https://images.app.goo.gl/S37ZPwGb4iuh52Us6

This is what I use with a ps2 to usb adapter and microsoft optical usb mouse. Not all mice work tho..