Any info on Reviving servers?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Favrenation
Outrun

Any info on Reviving servers?

Post#1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:19 pm

I am intrested in reviving the game chu chu rocket to be online. I really have no idea start though. I have no codng experince but I know people who can. I am really to do lots of research and testing and if it doesnt involve I am willing to do the whole thing and run the server in my house but the only reason I even bring this up is becuase on a forum here a guy said it would be possible but very hard to reverse engineer it. I know what that means but I dont know what that means when it comed to servers and I am a noob at servers too. I am doing a research on servers though so thats not a huge probelem any info in getting the IP adress who be nice and do you need seperate software to run the server? Any info will be great!
PS2 Online Gaming

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Re: Any info on Reviving servers?

Post#2 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Im willing to help to host server and website for the project, in fact it would be a nice part for my dreamarena v2 project, id be happy if you would agree to join it.

Now, speaking seriously, if you say youre a noob about servers, dont get your hopes to high.. If you never coded anything, coding a server from scratch of a game that already exists.. Most similar thing that has ever been done is schthserv, but the dude was a genious, and he started when the official server was still online. That way he was able to log all the connections, and only afterwards, he decrypted the stuff and compiled it into a server.

But you have nothing, not even knowledge according to what you are saying. Sounds hella hard to me. But id be happy to see that project be real, and if so, like i said, i will to help.

Favrenation
Outrun

Post#3 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:03 pm

Im first try to contact sega maybe they will be nicer than gamespy. Doubt it but worth a shot because like you said I have nothing right now. So to me it seems like a good place to start. Thanks for the info. Also I am willing to help with the dream arena 2 project in anyway juts tell me how and Ill see what I can do thanks!
PS2 Online Gaming

Dr. Pariolo
Pretty Fly for a White Guy

Post#4 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:42 pm

Hum what exactly are you trying to get off sega? :? They wont throw you the server software.. Reminds me of that guy at onlineconsoles.com, he tried contacting sega about re-opening PSO dc servers. He even suggested 3 options: one, reopen them with a monthly fee; 2, make another company host the servers; 3, give him the server software and he would take care of everything. The reply from sega took long and they laugh at him in a polite way, and inviting him to play.. i mean PAY sorry for PSU.

sega is a company, they are just looking for ways to make money, they dont give a shit about their own games that doesnt make any money, or to the fans they hold. its all about money money money. And chu chu rocket doesnt make any nowadays i think.

As for my dreamarena v2, thanks for your interest, and heres a topic about it so we dont go off topic any longer:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1407