Sudden realization about VMU batteries

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
kallisti5
noob

Sudden realization about VMU batteries

Post#1 » Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:04 pm

Like many of you, I gave up on VMU's long ago. Popping two new CR2032 batteries into them resulted in *maybe* a few days before they were dead.

However, I just realized they make rechargeable CR2032 batteries (LIR2032). I'm kinda wondering if these are what were originally in the VMU's when new? It would make sense to charge them while playing the console, then have a day or two of charge before needing to be plugged back in.

Anyway, I have some of these coming... going to see if they work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LCT9KG9

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Sudden realization about VMU batteries

Post#2 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:55 am

you can not even try, they will not be charged in the VMU

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14898

Rolly
letterbomb

Post#3 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:14 am

Just cut USB cable and create a simple modification.
Tutorial with photos : http://www.sega.c0.pl/faqs/felieton_seg ... y_usb.html ;)

Gocha
letterbomb

Post#4 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:55 am

Awesome mod Rolly, I've seen some people use 9V batteries and things like that, but it's a little bulky, this could be a nice solution to tinker around. There are a few Lithium ion battery mods also, but are expensive and I haven't seen any easy to follow tutorial.
About the rechargable batteries, the batteries itself "work" but how the power for a very short time and can't be recharged on the VMU while playing, there are a few videos on youtube of people experimenting and as far as I remember they all say it's just not worth it.

I would love to have a lithium battery modded one, there are a few mods that claim that you can charge it while using the dreamcast, but I've never seen one in real life.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#5 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 am

Follow the @megavolt85 battery mod, it's a fantastic one.

kallisti5
noob

Post#6 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:26 am

megavolt85 wrote:you can not even try, they will not be charged in the VMU

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14898

Interesting though. If there's enough power on the VMU bus to charge a small lipo battery, there should be enough to charge a pair of rechargeable LIR2032 batteries.

Think how minimal the modification would be 8-) A pair of 2032's in series are 6.4v "at full". If there's 5v available they could be charged individually with a tab in-between the two cells. If 6.4v+ is available they could be charged in series.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:23 pm

kallisti5 wrote:If 6.4v+ is available they could be charged in series.

charging batteries consistently is a bad idea
and generally charging batteries without a controller is a bad idea

Furious_George
shadow

Post#8 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:17 am

Not a bad idea, but man...even good Panasonic ones are really cheap on Amazon.