DC Digital firmware upgrade issue

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
KnightNZ
shadow

DC Digital firmware upgrade issue

Post#1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:05 pm

I've updated the firmware on my dcdigital to the "latest" version, but the UI is still reporting "v4.5 - std".

I've looked at the checksums for the installed files, and they all have the checksums for the v4.9 "master" fpga and esp firmwares.

The only actual feature that should be obviously different is a "Very thin" option for scanlines, which is not present so it looks like it actually _is_ still on v4.5 despite everything reporting otherwise.

I suspect that after the initial flashing, instead of using the "reset" option, I powered the DC off and on again which might've cause a problem.

I'm stumped. It's all working fine otherwise - any ideas?

I've tried manually flashing a 4.8 firmware, but it won't let me, saying that it's already up-to-date.

EDIT:
I figured I'd live on the edge and try to force a downgrade, so using the web interface I set the pinned version to v3.0.4 (the last 3-digit version it'd accept), downloaded the "newer" version, and then flashed it. Then - WITHOUT restarting (in case the older ESP broke something totally);

I then changed the branch back to "master", then downloaded that, flashed it, and reset (all via the web UI) - and now it's showing "v4.9-std" as it should with the same checksums as the previous non-updated version.

So, tl;dr - Don't be like me, use the in-console "Reset" after flashing, and don't power the device off and on again!