Yellowest Dreamcast of All Time?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Londinium
dirty sailor

Re: Yellowest Dreamcast of All Time?

Post#11 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:38 pm

Esppiral wrote:I never had a console yellowing, but it seems it is pretty common, any conditions under were it gets yellow?

Consoles yellow when exposed to ultraviolet radiation, chemical in the old plastics are the reason. Basically, keep your old consoles away from direct sunlight
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

mstar
Doom

Post#12 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:47 am

My understanding of the matter (may very well be totally/partially wrong) is that there is a chemical in the plastic that gasses off over time, leading to or allowing the yellowing.

Said chemical supposedly is a flame retardant (bromium? something like that?) and apparently there are a _few_ other plastic compositions that don't have or don't have that specific chemical in it - basically an other recipe for the plastic components - i've a VA0 model that is as "day 1 grey" as it gets and it doesn't seem to turn yellow at all...

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#13 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:00 pm

I saw a seller on ebay years ago trying to pass off a clearly sun yellowed sega saturn as a special gold version.

I think yellowing can also be caused by nicotine/smoking near your consoles and over time the residue from that gets deposited and builds up on the console (and your walls and everything else in the room).

Caspian
core

Post#14 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:48 am

Sega Dreamcast Sunlight Limited Edition.

CrashMidnick
blackout!

Post#15 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:12 am

This is the very limited edition known for the unreleased sequel of Soleil (Crusader of Centy in the USA and Ragnacenty in Japan). Soleil means "sun" in French ^^

Londinium
dirty sailor

Post#16 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:54 pm

I went in and read it, seller notes 'yellowish due to sunburn'

yeah, 'yellowish'...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic

Post#17 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:13 pm

like a super monkey balls edition lol

beanboy
Wazza

Post#18 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:25 pm

Anymore radiation and it would have turned gold, and then you could put it on ebay, claim its a rare gold plated dreamcast, and sell it for a million dollars on ebay. :lol: