Dreamcast 4XM video testing

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast 4XM video testing

Post#211 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:12 pm

Your not trying to match the bit rate of a dvd max you can stream off a cdr is 500kb.sec total including audio when the cpu is decoding it on the fly.. way 4xm works is fast decoder so 500kb/sec is more like 1mb due to how it's compress is.. But your not trying to encode this high bitrate the software decoder does this..

640x480 leave how it comes dont try to compress it to fit on cdr.. etc.. download the cdi above of the one i did and play it.. not taking matrix..

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#212 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:49 pm

I'm so happy that ppl are interested in the 4xm format.
There are 2 things that I consider to be magic on the dreamcast.
Bleem! and 4xm.
:)

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius

Post#213 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:02 pm

What about available content once this gets ironed out. I would love to see Looker (sci-fi movie) on it but how many discs would it take? Two like VCD, three like SVCD or like DViX (I can't remember what that took).
Regards,
Bob Dobbs

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#214 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:12 pm

Bob Dobbs wrote:What about available content once this gets ironed out. I would love to see Looker (sci-fi movie) on it but how many discs would it take? Two like VCD, three like SVCD or like DViX (I can't remember what that took).

Up to 5 or 6 Not like dvix or svcd higher quality then all of those .. And it would take 80+ hours plus to encode proper..
Pretty much think what would a dvd movie take cut up on a cdr ..
Testing should only be encoding 1 min 2 min clip for testing once you like then do the 80 90 hours..
Even 1 min or 2 min clip can be very long time..
setting high compression on this is useless since this was textures and small scenes to put in Dreamcast games.. Size of move is over 4.6 gb..

This was used on ps2 and mac and pc and other machines.. I think people get the wrong idea on what it does.. It's not for fitting a movie on disk.. And it was only made for 12x speed gdrom..

You can encode multi lang on the one track etc.. To do testing it should be very small clip of 1 min to get the best setting.. Or your wasting your time this is the slowest enocder of all time since what it's doing is pretty much turning this in to HQ images in motion that have a table so the dc or low spec machine is not spending cpu time decoding.. Like raw image.. So compression is the wrong term for what this does really..

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#215 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:30 am

6 star wars movies (despecialized) in 4xm.
480 hours of encoding, i guess 20 days total?
maybe 36 cd's
sounds like fun :)

i think ian figured out the limit of 4xm_comp's that you can run at once, including multiple vm's
in my tests i got 2 4xm_comps to run natively. (had 4 running until 2 crashed)

the most efficient way to encode to 4xm is to split a movie into 3 or 4 parts and then run multiple 4xm_comp's.
if you split all 6 star wars movies into 18 to 24 parts and then run multiple 4xm_comp's on multiple vm's and natively on multiple machines...
then maybe you cut this to a week or less encoding? idk
its still a long drawn out process. :?

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#216 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:14 am

So has anybody tried this on DreamShell?
Can the binary be patched to boot from lba0 ?
Then perhaps it'd possible to create a very large iso file.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#217 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:58 pm

MastaG wrote:So has anybody tried this on DreamShell?
Can the binary be patched to boot from lba0 ?
Then perhaps it'd possible to create a very large iso file.

It would be great if 4xm player worked with dreamshell.
Allowing larger iso files to be loaded from sd card.
I have not tested 0 lba with 4xm player bin.
A6 00 is for 0 lba.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#218 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:38 pm

Well it froze on me again for the second time after 50 hours of encoding at the same spot. It was just over 2 gigs. Maybe 4xm don't like that big of file? Or it could be something else I dunno. I'm not trying that long of a movie again... At least not without breaking it up into smaller chunks first like SMiTH said

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#219 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:01 am

Ian Micheal wrote:
Bob Dobbs wrote:What about available content once this gets ironed out. I would love to see Looker (sci-fi movie) on it but how many discs would it take? Two like VCD, three like SVCD or like DViX (I can't remember what that took).

Up to 5 or 6 Not like dvix or svcd higher quality then all of those .. And it would take 80+ hours plus to encode proper..
Pretty much think what would a dvd movie take cut up on a cdr ..
Testing should only be encoding 1 min 2 min clip for testing once you like then do the 80 90 hours..
Even 1 min or 2 min clip can be very long time..
setting high compression on this is useless since this was textures and small scenes to put in Dreamcast games.. Size of move is over 4.6 gb..

This was used on ps2 and mac and pc and other machines.. I think people get the wrong idea on what it does.. It's not for fitting a movie on disk.. And it was only made for 12x speed gdrom..

You can encode multi lang on the one track etc.. To do testing it should be very small clip of 1 min to get the best setting.. Or your wasting your time this is the slowest enocder of all time since what it's doing is pretty much turning this in to HQ images in motion that have a table so the dc or low spec machine is not spending cpu time decoding.. Like raw image.. So compression is the wrong term for what this does really..

Or like i said :lol:

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#220 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:19 pm

Well after another 80+ hours of encoding I bring you a full 1.4 hour 4x movie, well soft of.. I had to split it up into 3 parts because of the 2 gig limit of CDI4DC. Was over 4 gigs, much like a dvd with high bitrate. Tho the sound is poor no matter what bitrate I use.. So there is that.

It is GDEMU only, as each part is 1.5 Gigs. Split up into 3 CDI's. Sorry folks, I may make a poor bitrate version for GD users if there is enough interest. For now tho I am done with this, have spent over 160 hours in total encoding already on a spare PC.

My goal was to show what the DC is capable of with enough space for a good quality film. So I did it with one of my favorites!

Grab some popcorn and turn down the lights. Don't be a wuss and enjoy the best remake ever made. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2GVMv ... sp=sharing

I have not watched it all the way thru so if you do please let us know it works. Thanks

Sorry for the watermark :oops:

Props to Ian and SMiTH

shh.. no spoil k