Dreamcast 4XM video testing

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: Dreamcast 4XM video testing

Post#221 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:28 pm

-drez01- wrote:Well after another 80+ hours of encoding I bring you a full 1.4 hour 4x movie, well soft of.. I had to split it up into 3 parts because of the 2 gig limit of CDI4DC. Was over 4 gigs, much like a dvd with high bitrate. Tho the sound is poor no matter what bitrate I use.. So there is that.

It is GDEMU only, as each part is 1.5 Gigs. Split up into 3 CDI's. Sorry folks, I may make a poor bitrate version for GD users if there is enough interest. For now tho I am done with this, have spent over 160 hours in total encoding already on a spare PC.

My goal was to show what the DC is capable of with enough space for a good quality film. So I did it with one of my favorites!

Grab some popcorn and turn down the lights. Don't be a wuss and enjoy the best remake ever made. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2GVMv ... sp=sharing

I have not watched it all the way thru so if you do please let us know it works. Thanks

Sorry for the watermark :oops:

Props to Ian and SMiTH

shh.. no spoil k

You need a bloody medal for encoding and testing hehe thanks for doing this.. :D

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#222 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:43 pm

drez01,
this is freaking awesome.
the video quality is excellent, watching it now.
can't believe a full 4xm movie is now a reality :)
great job congrats.

MastaG
Quad Damage

Post#223 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:37 am

Whats the limit for GDI images?
Would it be technically possible to create a single 4GB GDI instead?

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#224 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:44 am

1.1 Gig max for GDI builder. I could be wrong but I don’t think so..

Cass
MegaDeath

Post#225 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:51 pm

Over 80 hours of encoding :shock: but easily the best looking movie ever to grace the Dreamcast!

Not sure how viable the format is given the heartache involved and would need a pause and forward/back function but it's a great proof of concept - thanks drez01!

CORE316
photon blast

Post#226 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:05 pm

Tested via Redream Video quality is amazing but avs4free watermark bit annoying lol.
Audio was kind of distorted and added to the whole eeriness of the movie itself not sure if it Emulator itself but it does seem like it.

But damn 80 hours. Nice to see though what 4XM Looks like.

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#227 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:10 pm

Yea that is what AVS does when you split it up without buying a license. Audio is distorted on real hardware also unfortunately but it does not desync like it does on emulators.. Might just be my encoding settings

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#228 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:23 pm

I still love the 4xm format even if its a bitch to encode.
DVD quality video on dreamcast.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#229 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:38 pm

-drez01- wrote:I had to split it up into 3 parts because of the 2 gig limit of CDI4DC.

I tried to figure out other ways to create a larger cdi. tested 3gb+

creating an iso with xorriso in mkisofs emulation mode that has 2 sessions merged - push data to 11700 lba. (tried 45000 as well)
one session not two. (so dc will never boot it lol)
cdi4dc will go into negative values and create a larger cdi over 2gb limit.
using diskjuggler to create a .cdi from a larger iso would always give an error of not enough space or w/e
creating a .nrg had issues.
creating a .mds had issues.

Are there ways to create a 2 session image that can go past the 2gb limit and also boot on the dc?
Another disk image format that uses multiple sessions and is used for dvd's?
Mimic that type of format for a larger iso then convert to cdi?
Idk?

There might be some decent scripts to use with xorriso that could offer some new methods?

Creating an sd iso version would be an issue since dreamshell does not work with ginsu or any other loaders.
This would stop 4xm player from working since it needs ginsu to load the 4xm video file.
Also 4xm player might not even work at 0 lba.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#230 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:11 pm

I would forget cdi for gdemu and build gdi's 1gb each..