Authenticity of seal

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Randy2727
noob

Authenticity of seal

Post#1 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:43 am

Hello forums!

I'm hoping this is the right place to post something like this. Apologies in advance if it's not.

I bought a sealed copy of Sonic Shuffle more than a decade ago from a local collectibles store. I was reorganizing my collection this weekend and wanted to try to get some closure on this one, so I was hoping somebody here could help.

My copy doesn't look like other factory seals that I have seen for Sonic Shuffle listings on ebay. Normally, I would just write it off as a reseal, but there are a couple other things here that make me question it. First it is the Canadian release of the game. It was somewhat common practice for older console generation releases to have the French language manual bundled in a seal over top of the standard English release which appears to be the case here. The other aspect is how good the seal looks and feels on the top and bottom of the case. It's very tight and professional looking.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to collecting for Dreamcast, so any input would be much appreciated!

Best,
-Randy2727

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: Authenticity of seal

Post#2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:09 am

Reseal
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#3 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:06 am

His music isn't really for me, but it seems like Seal is a pretty cool guy.

Oh! The game.
Last edited by DCGX on Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#4 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:29 pm

First thought would be to shout RESEAL, or actually to be exact SHRINKWRAP! but.....

Exactly what you say, this looks to be a Canadian release where the government forced publishers to release their games with an English AND French manual. During the Dreamcast era multiple games got released with simply an extra manual slapped at the back of the case, and shrink-wrapping in that case is the easiest way to accomplish this.

I'm not sure how these got distributed and who did the actual shrink-wrapping, but I used to have a couple of these (of other games) straight from an SEGA employee and they all came shrink-wrapped, exactly like yours.

Randy2727
noob

Post#5 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:23 pm

Thank you all for the input so far!

Another thing to note, the barcode sticker on the back of the seal appears to be an anti theft device, the RF tag? type of labels that were more common in that era, similar to the one below. I wouldn't expect to see that on a reseal/shrink wrapped game.

Wombat wrote:First thought would be to shout RESEAL, or actually to be exact SHRINKWRAP! but.....

Exactly what you say, this looks to be a Canadian release where the government forced publishers to release their games with an English AND French manual. During the Dreamcast era multiple games got released with simply an extra manual slapped at the back of the case, and shrink-wrapping in that case is the easiest way to accomplish this.

I'm not sure how these got distributed and who did the actual shrink-wrapping, but I used to have a couple of these (of other games) straight from an SEGA employee and they all came shrink-wrapped, exactly like yours.

Do you happen to remember if the jewel case under the shrink wrap was also sealed like a standard US release? This is the only one I have seen on Dreamcast, but if memory serves, I remember other games I bought as a kid that came like this also had the normal seal underneath the shrink wrap that held the French manual. These were for other platforms (PS2, Xbox, and Xbox 360) and quite a long time ago, so I could be totally wrong here. In the case of my copy of Sonic Shuffle here, there doesn't appear to be another seal underneath the outer shrink wrap seal.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#6 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:10 am

I'm pretty confident I also had these security tags inside. If memory serves correctly, these were inside the game package at the back of the thing that hold the disc.

I don't remember if they were sealed under the shrink-wrap, but I think not. Which would make sense with the security tag placement.

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:57 am

I think rule-of-thumb would be checking for y-fold

Don't think any re-sealer pulls this off

Return to “Lounge”