Possible Ideas for Dual Analog input for Indie Game

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Dual Analog Input Choice

Controller+Fishing rod
38%
Controller+Controller
8%
Single Controller
15%
Controller+Light gun
23%
Something else
15%
Total votes: 13

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: Possible Ideas for Dual Analog input for Indie Game

Post#21 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Problem is they will map the 2ns stick to face buttons making it useless retrobit needs to get intouch with homebrew dev's and the dc scene like mrneo240 and others megavolt to make a proper controller ..

right now the only real dual analog on dreamcast is normal controller and the fishing controller

other wise it's just dpad mapped to analog stick

Says who? Where are you getting this information from? Because I and others have personally contacted them and discussed with them that the maple protocol supports 2x analog sticks, and even 2x D-Pad inputs. They are highly aware of this. People can hex edit the 1st read bin of games to remap the controls on a game by game basis to support the 2nd stick for games that would not natively support it. Meaning games that don't support it in the way that Quake 3 does already. I think you are just assuming they would map it to D-Pad, there is no proof they would. I have been championing this since they revealed the 2 Genesis and Saturn dual analog prototypes above.

While it is true they offer some button layout configurations by holding certain button macros, they are aware that simply making it have a fully featured second analog stick so that homebrew developers can utilize it is a highly requested feature. There is no reason to believe they would not give us what we have been begging for since this collaboration with Sega was revealed and they leaked the dual analog prototypes for the other 2 systems. I have faith in them to do the right thing. They have always adapted their products to user feedback. The first batch of the controllers had brittle D-Pad rocker plastic that would break. They were made aware of the issue and adjusted their materials in the production process to make them more durable and have since fixed this problem. They even sent out free replacement parts for people with first batch or replaced controllers fully.

I just wish they would stop taking their sweet ass time lol, they been at this since the CES 2018 announcement and still not a single Dreamcast controller yet. :lol:

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#22 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:09 pm

To be fair, I'd assume it's just a remap of the face buttons unless the company specifically states it uses the DC's second stick from the Maple bus. After the number of controllers that claim secondary stick functions that don't offer it, I'm riding more on the skeptical side of things with these developers.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#23 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:50 pm

Like I said, I and others have been in contact with them about this on Twitter. They have all the information they need to do this. You guys can be cynical, that is fine. I am cynical about a lot of things too, but they know we don't want them to half ass this. On my thread over at Obscure I even detailed the code for it in the Maple protocol for them to see.

So it is not like they don't have a dearth of information available and at hand. I mean if they are going to go to the trouble of creating an officially licensed controller chances are they are trying to get it right. They cited having to pass everything by Sega first before they can get everything locked into place. That is part of the reason it has taken so long. Sega learned from their dealings with AtGames that they can't be lax on quality. So that is a key factor in why they are trying to get this right before they release something subpar, as their reputation is on the line.

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#24 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:02 pm

That Sega deal could potentially put the kybosch on this or delay it even further. I know from experience that Sega take forever to approve anything, even minor details

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#25 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:27 pm

I think where forgetting rand and bleem had done this with true analog sticks for dreamcast for bleemcast way back
Attachments
10566d49e6c69061e478d4d8845031e0.jpg

Roareye
Rank 9

Post#26 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:55 pm

My knowledge of PlayStation is minimal at best, but wasn't the second thumbstick on the original PSX seldom used? I remember someone telling me it wasn't very good so went unused. That could have been their interpretation of the event, as I say I have no personal experience one way or the other.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#27 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:07 pm

Roareye wrote:My knowledge of PlayStation is minimal at best, but wasn't the second thumbstick on the original PSX seldom used? I remember someone telling me it wasn't very good so went unused. That could have been their interpretation of the event, as I say I have no personal experience one way or the other.

many games used it past 1997 almost all used it past that included fps and other things