The unsung heroes of the dreamcast

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
dark
Shark Patrol

The unsung heroes of the dreamcast

Post#1 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:31 pm

I'd like to thank a special segment of dreamcast users - those people who completed their games back in the day and uploaded their saves, especially those people who unlocked all the stuff in games that were hard/annoying/unenjoyable to play, like Sonic Shuffle's one player mode. I'm relying on the data of people who probably uploaded their saves 20 years ago, for a variety of games these days, especially when I do something like add a dreamcast PC emulator to a new computer - no way I'm going to bother unlocking all the characters in every fighting game I want to play all over again, or play through the MSR or Tokyo Xtreme Racer campaigns from the start!

Relatedly, I'd also like to thank those people who hosted websites with VMU saves and especially the people behind Dream Explorer who archived all this stuff into an easy to use menu on a CD, which is especially helpful today in the year 2021 when all the old websites are defunct and its not as easy to connect your dreamcast to the web anyway. I know you can probably find many saves for many consoles on gamefaqs, but I haven't seen an equivelant to Dream Explorer for other systems like PS2 or Gamecube... namely, an easy to use disc you can easily launch in your console to get a completed save for practically any game in the library!

beanboy
Wazza

Re: The unsung heroes of the dreamcast

Post#2 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:12 pm

Yeah. 8-)

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Wed May 26, 2021 3:51 pm

Speud made the software he started on getting intro vmu saving as he wrote vmu saving for radquake.. He went from radquake saving to dream explorer if you notice i even have music in dream explorer and a theme for it..

Most of the features of the saving came from his work on radquake

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:47 pm

Reminding me the last time I visited shit MSR

I could not tell if the save was 100% and I for the life of me could not get the MT the manual gears option

Woodneeded
undertow

Post#5 » Wed May 26, 2021 8:45 pm

This is a good point, these games saves can be valuable in allowing a more full experience on the dreamcast. Sometimes I'm just not good enough at a game to unlock all the content I want from a game

NeORomani
lithium

Post#6 » Thu May 27, 2021 4:15 am

Allow me to join you on this thanks giving, thanks to all!

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#7 » Thu May 27, 2021 10:20 am

Wasn't someone mining used VMUs and archiving dreamcast DLC in the last few years? Would it be possible to repack dreamexplorer with that stuff to the extent it isn't already contained in dream explorer to basically make a version with even greater utility? Dream explorer is like the most important dreamcast disc in my collection :lol: It's a metaphorical bridge from the early dreamcast fanbase to the current fanbase.