which version gd-emu (clone) to buy?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
SMiTH
Black Mesa

which version gd-emu (clone) to buy?

Post#1 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:57 am

I have been out of the loop for many years in regards to gd-emu.
Any advice for what version to buy or does it even matter?

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: which version gd-emu (clone) to buy?

Post#2 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:10 pm

Doesn't matter. Just never update the firmware lest ye wanna brick it.

mkandersson1082
MegaDeath

Post#3 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Pretty much what Anthony said...you can't really go wrong with the clones.

retro
lithium

Post#4 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:24 am

I go with Bitfunx when it comes to China clone stuff... they have the best quality (relatively speaking of course).
Just look for their store in AliExpress.

bingobongo
minority

Post#5 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:20 am

mkandersson1082 wrote:Pretty much what Anthony said...you can't really go wrong with the clones.

I have to politely disagree. I've had nothing but a headache from my GDEmu clone and I've posted about the problems here.

It looks like it's badly soldered and there's a pin or two that might be badly connected/bridged.

The result?

A GDEmu that works when it wants to, you have to jiggle it around, sometimes the entire card is corrupt so u have to reformat everything. It's so bad I can only use it with one game because I don't trust filling it up with a bunch of games again for the 5th or 6th time and then losing everything. Oh... and most of the time, it just doesn't work - freezes on boot up/loads after about 10 minutes of idle time, etc...

Maybe most are okay but when I posted around trying to find out what was wrong, I found a bunch of other people (here and on reddit) that had the same problems I had and no obvious solutions (by studying the pcb closely I figured out it was probably badly soldered) My point is that I'm not alone.

Buy a couple if you can afford it. Chances are, one of the two will work okay. It's without doubt the worst most unstable mod I've ever had to suffer with (and I've been through all the ps2 mods from day 1 along with mods for og xbox/360/gamecube/saturn/etc...) None of those mods ever gave me any problems - they just worked - and to this day all those modded systems still work flawlessly with their mods.

XVO
undertow

Post#6 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:46 am

Never had any issue with the two clones I've ordered from AliExpress. Like earlier stated just don't update, and don't forget to use a SD card tool for the games. Otherwise the loading times to get into the gdemu menu are horrendous.

kokie
noob

Post#7 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:14 pm

l wanna know too, is there any different between fw? there are 5.5 , 5.15, 5.15b , etc.

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#8 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:34 pm

kokie wrote:l wanna know too, is there any different between fw? there are 5.5 , 5.15, 5.15b , etc.

That's the PCB revision, not the firmware. But even the PCBs have no differences at all, they are all based off the v5.5 original GDEMU boards.